Simplex Method (Linear Programming)

odumath

Math Experts,

I need some help with Linear Programming -- especially, the Simplex Method (in algebraic form... "do it by hand" vs. computer).

Here's what I have:
- one simple maximization problem... and the professor's solution key (how to do the Simplex Method by hand) for this particular problem
- a 2nd simple maximization problem...

Here's what I need some help with:
- For the 2nd maximization problem, I need to do the iterations by hand (using the professor's solution key from 1st problem as the guide)

Based on above, I've tried to follow the solution key and come up w/ the profit maximization solution (plus the iterations). Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. As further as I progress into solving it, I'm getting lost.

This is what I've done:
1. uploaded the 1st problem's solution key (MS-Word document) -- see URL below
2. uploaded my attempt on problem #2... again, this one attempts to follow the solution key -- see URL below

The solution key is in MS-Word and uses the "Equation Editor" (feature of Word) a great deal. I've taken bits and pieces of the solution key and modified them in the Equation Editor of the 2nd problem.

Could anyone please help me out figuring out how to solve the 2nd problem?

Thousand thanks in advance!!!
odumath

P.S. The two Word documents are zipped at can be found at: http://my.storenow.net?f=1103

Never heard of Simplex et al...your 2nd problem seems to be:

3a + b + c =< 60
a - b + 2c =<10
a + b - c =< 20
a,b,c =>0
Maximize 2a - b + c

I'll confirm that answer is a=15, b=5, c=0

- Well, according to the text book... the Simplex Method does exist.
- I don't know why you rewrote the problem.

I solved the 1st problem via software program. The professor's answer are correct. He may have made some typos in his solution key, but that's it.

I truly appreciate your help... but I'd like to stay focused on the issue at hand.

Let's use solution key to solve 2nd problem.

Thanks,
odumath

odumath said:
...the Simplex Method does exist.
There is loads of information available on the Simplex Method. I only remember that I didn't enjoy it much in my "Optimization Techniques" class....

Eliz.

odumath said:
I don't know why you rewrote the problem.
I did not "rewrite"; only changed x1 to a, x2 to b, x3 to c: for SIMPLICITY :shock:

odumath said:
- Well, according to the text book... the Simplex Method does exist.
- I don't know why you rewrote the problem.

I solved the 1st problem via software program. The professor's answer are correct. He may have made some typos in his solution key, but that's it.

I truly appreciate your help... but I'd like to stay focused on the issue at hand.

Let's use solution key to solve 2nd problem.

Thanks,
odumath
This Simplex Method Solver will walk through the solution step-by-step if you want.