Simplification

Hi Julian. I would say those forms are equally simple. Either expression ought to be acceptable as an answer, unless a particular course or exercise instructs otherwise. Factored versions are more useful in some situations; expanded forms are more useful in others. Can you provide context for your example?

?

What is more simplified? 200+100root2 or 100(2+root2)?
There is no definitive answer to that question.

Depends on your instructor's "whim"!

However, if you have to "something" with your answer after the last line - that "thing" will decide - what is more "useful" answer.

Ok, so it's the side length of something. So which is more useful? I feel like the distributed one is more useful.

Last edited:
What is more simplified? 200+100root2 or 100(2+root2)?
I am a pure contrarian. So here goes:
Looking at \(200+100\sqrt 2\text{ as opposed to }100(2+\sqrt 2)\) which gives gives you more information?
If you are interested to the numerical size which one helps you most?
The answer tells you which should be your snswer.
For me personally it is the second.

… it's the side length of something. So which is more useful? …
Based on that, they still seem pretty much the same, to me. (In fact, when I look at one form, I see the other in my mind.)

If I had the entire exercise, or if I knew what uses there could be for that particular side length, then I might have something else to say. Otherwise, they are just two simple forms of the same expression. Consider the following side length.

2 ⅝ inches

2.625 inches

So, which is more useful?

It depends.

?