Simplify (no negitive exponents) (8xy^(-5))/(-2x^(-5)y^(-1))

fresh83 said:
Simplify (no negitive exponents) ( 8 x y^(-5) ) / ( -2 x^(-5) y^(-1) )
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete, so that we can "see" where you are experiencing difficulty and then provide intelligent assistance.

Thank you! :D

Please read the post titled, "Read Before Posting", before posting anything else. The information in that notice outlines your responsibilities for seeking help at this web site.

Cheers 8-)

i dont know where to start with this...if u want me to just take a guess i will but , i much rather just see this one explained out and done and take note.

i can see id get a -4 out of the problem and then.... idk , the exponents being divided and negitives is where i draw a blank.

fresh83 said:
… if [you] want me to just take a [guess, I] will …

Yes, I do. A guess is better than nothing.

can see [that I'd] get a -4 out of the problem …

Very good. This is the sort of information that we like to see. By telling us this, we now know that you can divide 8 by -2, so we don't need to explain that arithmetic.

There are different approaches to simplifying this expression. Try separating the ratios of powers with same base, and see if that gives you any ideas.

\(\displaystyle \frac{-8}{2} \cdot \frac{x}{x^{-5}} \cdot \frac{y^{-5}}{y^{-1}}\)

Here's a hint:

b^n/b^m = b^(n - m)

i hate to say it but ...im still lost and i have no ride to the library.

im sorry , im gonna ask alot of dumb questions but i promise i will use every bit of what you teach mne and apply it .

my class is online and this is my first math that ive really wanted to learn .

Don't hesitate to ask questions; they are not dumb. Mathematics proceeds by making mistakes. What would be dumb is not asking the questions.

I'll work through a similar example, using the property that when we divide two powers with the same base, we subtract the lower exponent away from the upper exponent.

b^n/b^m = b^(n - m)

I'll also use the property that allows us to rewrite negative exponents.

b^(-n) = 1/b^n

\(\displaystyle \frac{17 \cdot a^7 \cdot b^{-4}}{51 \cdot b^{11} \cdot a^{-3}} \; = \; \frac{17}{51} \; \cdot \; \frac{a^7}{a^{-3}} \; \cdot \; \frac{b^{-4}}{b^{11}} \; = \; \frac{1}{3} \; \cdot \; a^{7 + 3} \; \cdot \; b^{-4 - 11} \; = \; \frac{1}{3} \; \cdot \; a^{10} \; \cdot \; b^{-15} \; = \; \frac{1}{3} \; \cdot \; \frac{a^{10}}{1} \; \cdot \; \frac{1}{b^{15}} \; = \; \frac{a^{10}}{3 \cdot b^{15}}\)

Stare at these steps, and see if you can discern usage of the two properties that I typed symbolically in red above. If there are any steps that you don't fully understand, then please ask specific questions.

Your exercise will simplify using exactly the same strategy. (There are other methods; I showed you the method that goes through my head.)

If you cannot get to your brick-and-mortar library, then use the virtual library (starting with Google). CLICK HERE FOR A GOOD BASIC SITE.

If you would like more help with your exercise or to confirm your answer, then please show whatever work you accomplish. If you're stuck, then say something about WHY, so that people might determine where to continue helping you.

Cheers 8-)