Simplify the Surd

James Smithson

was not sure where to put this sorry.

I have managed to get an answer to this but looking at my book I can not understand how I got there and part of the mark is good mathmatical comunication.

Here is the surd i have to simplify

7√5
----- + √63 (that was very hard to put on a computer hope i did it ok)
√35

my answer is 4 √7

please could someone help me with each step as to why we do it as I strugle with the good mathmatical comunication part.

It makes no sense at all that you could muddle through all that, manage the final answer, and have no idea how you got there.

We're just factoring integers.
[math]\dfrac{7\cdot\sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{7\cdot 5}} + \sqrt{7\cdot 9}[/math]
Now what?

7√5
√35
This forum supports LaTeX formatting, so you can type it like this:
Code:
[MATH]\frac{7\sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63}[/MATH]
And it will render like this:

[MATH]\frac{7\sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63}[/MATH]​

was not sure where to put this sorry.

I have managed to get an answer to this but looking at my book I can not understand how I got there and part of the mark is good mathmatical comunication.

Here is the surd i have to simplify

7√5
√35

my answer is 4 √7

please could someone help me with each step as to why we do it as I strugle with the good mathmatical comunication part.
Because you have the answer and just want to understand the logic, let's do it step by step with the general process justifying each step.

[MATH]\sqrt{ab} \equiv \sqrt{a} * \sqrt{b}[/MATH] is a general rule.

[MATH]\therefore \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63} = \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{7 * 5}} + \sqrt{7 * 9} = \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{7} * \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt{9} * \sqrt{7}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{pq}{rq} \equiv \dfrac{p}{r}[/MATH] is a general rule.

[MATH]\therefore \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63} = \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{7} * \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt{9} * \sqrt{7} =\dfrac{7}{\sqrt{7}} + \sqrt{9} * \sqrt{7}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{a^2} = |\ a\ |[/MATH] is a general rule.

[MATH]\therefore \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63} = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{7}} + \sqrt{9} * \sqrt{7} = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{7}} + \sqrt{(+3)^2} * \sqrt{7} = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{7}} + 3\sqrt{7}.[/MATH]
It is sometimes useful to remove surds from the denominator of a fraction. (It is called rationalizing the denominator.)

[MATH]v > 0 \dfrac{u}{\sqrt{v}} \equiv \dfrac{u}{\sqrt{v}} * 1 \equiv \dfrac{u}{\sqrt{v}} * \dfrac{u}{\sqrt{v}} * \dfrac{\sqrt{v}}{\sqrt{v}} \equiv[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{u\sqrt{v}}{\sqrt{v} * \sqrt{v}} \equiv \dfrac{u\sqrt{v}}{\sqrt{v * v}} \equiv \dfrac{u\sqrt{v}}{\sqrt{v^2}} \equiv \dfrac{u\sqrt{v}}{v} .[/MATH]
In short, [MATH]v > 0 \implies \dfrac{u}{\sqrt{v}} \equiv \dfrac{u\sqrt{v}}{v} [/MATH] is a general rule.

[MATH]\therefore \dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63} = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{7}} + 3\sqrt{7} = \dfrac{7\sqrt{7}}{7} + 3\sqrt{7}.[/MATH]
And it is then obvious that

[MATH]\dfrac{7 \sqrt{5}}{\sqrt{35}} + \sqrt{63} = \dfrac{\cancel 7\sqrt{7}}{\cancel 7} + 3\sqrt{7} = \sqrt{7} + 3\sqrt{7} = 4\sqrt{7}.[/MATH]
It is the systematic application of general rules that you already know (except perhaps for techniques of rationalizing a denominator).