Simplifying radical with Fractions question

Speckington

I have a question about simplifying the radical with fractions in which both the numerator and denominator are a perfect square

Take this as an example:

√9/900 this can be broken down into three perfect squares √3^2/3^2*10^2

Should I simplify by squaring the entire fraction or should I simply factor the digits?

Simplify by squaring the entire fraction: (√9/900) ^2

Simplify by factoring out the digits √3^2/3^2*10^2 = 3/ 3 * 10 = 3/30

If I do these two things out, they will be different.
(√9/900) ^2 = 9/900 = 1/100
√9/900 = √ 3 ^2/ 3^2 * 10^2 = 3/3*10 = 3/30 = 1/10

I would like to know which of the two methods is correct and why the other one is wrong. As a side note would your answer be any different if there was a variable squared in the denominator/numerator?

Thank you so much for your help!

Where you have sqrt 9/900, do you really mean sqrt (9/900)? Brackets are very important here. It is very hard to interpret what you are trying to say if you don't use brackets correctly.

sqrt(9/900) = sqrt(1/100) = sqrt(1)/sqrt(100) = 1/10

OR

sqrt(9/900) = sqrt(9)/sqrt(900) = sqrt(9)/[(sqrt(9)*sqrt(100)] = 1/ sqrt(100) = 1/10

OR

sqrt(9)/sqrt(900) = 3/30 = 1/10

There is not just one way of doing these type problems. The first way I think is the fastest way of getting to the answer. The last way is also a good method.

I have a question about simplifying the radical with fractions in which both the numerator and denominator are a perfect square

Take this as an example:

√9/900 this can be broken down into three perfect squares √3^2/3^2*10^2

Should I simplify by squaring the entire fraction or should I simply factor the digits?

Simplify by squaring the entire fraction: (√9/900) ^2

Simplify by factoring out the digits √3^2/3^2*10^2 = 3/ 3 * 10 = 3/30

If I do these two things out, they will be different.
(√9/900) ^2 = 9/900 = 1/100
√9/900 = √ 3 ^2/ 3^2 * 10^2 = 3/3*10 = 3/30 = 1/10

I would like to know which of the two methods is correct and why the other one is wrong. As a side note would your answer be any different if there was a variable squared in the denominator/numerator?

Thank you so much for your help!
As has been said by others, your notation is poor.

[math]\sqrt{x} = x \iff x = 1 \text { or } x = 0 [/math] ... Corrected

The square root of a number is NEVER equal to the number except in the special cases of zero and one. Thus

[math]\sqrt{\dfrac{9}{900}} \ne \dfrac{1}{100}.[/math]
That method is WRONG. When you simplify an expression, you must not change its value. But squaring a number changes the value (except in the special cases of zero and one).

What I think is mixing you up is something else, which is valid.

[math]a \ge 0 \text { and } b > 0 \implies \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}.[/math]
Consequently

[math]0 \le u = \sqrt{a} \text { and } 0 < v = \sqrt{b} \implies \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}} = \dfrac{u}{v}.[/math]
To take a concrete example.

[math]\sqrt{\dfrac{9}{900}} = \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{100}} = \sqrt{\left ( \dfrac{1}{10} \right )^2} = \dfrac{1}{10}.[/math]
[math]\sqrt{\dfrac{9}{900}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{9}}{\sqrt{900}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{3^2}}{\sqrt{30^2}} = \dfrac{3}{30} = \dfrac{1}{10}.[/math]
Both methods are valid; both lead to the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:

The square root of a number is NEVER equal to the number except in the special cases of zero and one. Thus

That method is WRONG. When you simplify an expression, you must not change its value. But squaring a number changes the value (except in the special cases of zero and one).

[math]a \ge 0 \text { and } b > 0 \implies \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}.[/math]
Consequently

[math]0 \le u = \sqrt{a} \text { and } 0 < v = \sqrt{b} \implies \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}} = \dfrac{u}{v}.[/math]

[math]\sqrt{\dfrac{9}{900}} = \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{100}} = \sqrt{\left ( \dfrac{1}{10} \right )^2} = \dfrac{1}{10}.[/math]
[math]\sqrt{\dfrac{9}{900}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{9}}{\sqrt{900}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{3^2}}{\sqrt{30^2}} = \dfrac{3}{30} = \dfrac{1}{10}.[/math]

Consequently

Thank you for your wonderful explanation! I will try and use the correct notation in the future

sqrt(x)=x
Squaring both sides we get x = x^2. Then x^2 - x = 0
x(x-1) = 0
So x= 0 or x=1.
That is why the only numbers where sqrt(x)=x is 1 or 0.