Simplifying Trig Equation: (t-sint)=2pi

BigNate

Hello Everyone,

I forgot a concept I'm sure I learned several years ago. Can someone please explain how I would solve for t in the following equation:
(t-sint)=2pi

If someone could please put me on the right track, that would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

I forgot a concept I'm sure I learned several years ago. Can someone please explain how I would solve for t in the following equation:

(t-sint) = 2pi

Hi Nate:

The concept that you've forgotten may be Newton's Method (if you've studied calculus).

You can google Newton's Method, for lessons or video examples. It's basically an approximating process that goes through iterations, where each iteration gives you a better approximation.

If you're unfamiliar with calculus, then graphing the function often helps to approximate a solution. If you have access to a graphing calculator, even better; you can zoom-in on an x-intercept as many times as needed, to get the precision you desire.

Also, as the previous poster replied, sometimes you can "observe" a solution; that's basically guessing and checking.

Cheers :)

PS: Your grouping symbols, on the left-hand side of the equation above, are not doing anything. However, it is good form to put parentheses around a function's input:

t - sin(t) = 2Pi