simplifying

soccerplayer123

Hi! I'm stuck on this one math problem that I have to do for homework and i would appreciate any help!

Simplify the given expression:
6 - [5 - (3 - x)]

We follow the Order of Operations.

The inner set of grouping symbols is the parentheses. Since 3 - x cannot be simplified, we move next to the outer set of grouping symbols.

The expression inside the set of square brackets is 5 - (3 - x), and this means 5 + (-1)(3 - x).

Apply the Distributive Property to this part:

(-1)(3 - x)

Show me what you get inside the square brackets, after this first simplification step. We'll go from there.

Cheers ~ Mark 8-)

soccerplayer123 said:
-3 + x i think? Yup. That's distributing the factor of -1 across the difference of 3 - x.

So, inside the square brackets, we now replace -(3 - x) with -3 + x.

[5 - 3 + x]

I know that you know that 5 - 3 = 2.

6 - [2 + x]

Do you see? That minus sign is again an abbreviation for addng the opposite.

6 + (-1)(2 + x)

Distribute the factor of -1, like before.

Then, do the arithmetic, and you'll have the final result.

Soccerplayer, I edited my post. Please read it again, and excuse my error.

(Why is it that every time I post something totally off-base, my Internet connection goes down as I race to fix my stupidity?)

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

Soccerplayer, I edited my post. Please read it again, and excuse my error.

(Why is it that every time I post something totally off-base, my Internet connection goes down as I race to fix my stupidity?)

I think you did NOT fix the problem

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

Murphy's Law...

If the concept of subtracting the factored product (-1)(2 + x) is awkward for you, here is another way to think of 6 - [2 + x]:

Everything inside the brackets gets subtracted from 6.

6 - 2 - x

Now simplify.

:roll:

I have to spend the rest of the night in the corner, now.

Before I go:

6 - [5 - (3 - x)]

6 - [5 - 3 + x]

6 - [2 + x]

6 - 2 - x

You finish.

Sorry for all of the confusion ! :oops:

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

If the concept of subtracting the factored product (-1)(2 + x) is awkward for you, here is another way to think of 6 - [2 + x]:

Everything inside the brackets gets subtracted from 6.

6 - 2 - x

Now simplify.

:roll:
Wrong again!!

It's really not that difficult. First you work out the innermost brackets. The negative before a sequence inside of brackets or parenthesis will invert positives to negatives, and negatives to positives within that set. So first we solve -(3-x), which is the same as -3+x. Then we solve -(5-3+x) which is the same as -5+3-x. Then we solve 6-5+3-x, which gives us 4-x.

2wrkkmp.png

Cheers.