Simultaneous equations

Iglepiggle

I've solved this before but now I've forgotten and cant do it again

Attachments

• 15720885722991265117343553926240.jpg
    15720885722991265117343553926240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I've solved this before but now I've forgotten and cant do it again
Please rotate your posted image - so that it can be read easily by the tutors.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment. You have done this problem before - so you can at least "start" the problem. Otherwise we have to start with "definitions".

Okay so you can think of 'R'=z and then 'I1'=x and then 'I2'=y so its solving simultaneously given 3 equations and 3 variables. I've tried rearranging to solve in terms of one variable (either I1 or I2) after having cancelled both the '-R2' variables but I keep ending up with the wrong answer

Okay so you can think of 'R'=z and then 'I1'=x and then 'I2'=y so its solving simultaneously given 3 equations and 3 variables. I've tried rearranging to solve in terms of one variable (either I1 or I2) after having cancelled both the '-R2' variables but I keep ending up with the wrong answer
Please rotate the image 90oCCW so that we can decipher it easily.
simultaneously given 3 equations and 3 variables.
Please post those 3 equations and your work.

Heck, I figured I'd post the graphic. (That original graphic is huge - height and width are 1,000's of pixels.)
Okay, the graphic is a little grainy but readable. I'd solve the equations but I'll be away from my computer for a few hours.
Also, it seems that if we include the "2A" term then we are solving for 4 unknowns?
3unknown.png

The A means amperes, so we can drop it.

Writing the variables as x, y, z as proposed, the equations are

x + y = 2​
-2z + 8 - 4y = 0​
-2z + 12 - 5x = 0​

or, after rearranging,

x + y = 2​
4y + 2z = 8​
5x + 2z = 12​

Now, let's let @Iglepiggle show some work, so we can see what's going wrong. I'd definitely start by eliminating z.

Wow I spent hours on this last night and when I had cancelled the '2z' variables in the equations
'-2z + 8 - 4y=0'
'-2z + 12 - 5x=0'
I got: -4 - 4y - 5x
But the actual answer is: -4 - 4y + 5x
And then my methodology was correct but I just had that initial step wrong ?. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for wasting your time.

Wow I spent hours on this last night and when I had cancelled the '2z' variables in the equations
'-2z + 8 - 4y=0'
'-2z + 12 - 5x=0'
I got: -4 - 4y - 5x
But the actual answer is: -4 - 4y + 5x
And then my methodology was correct but I just had that initial step wrong ?. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for wasting your time.
This is why we ask you to show your work from the start -- it can save a lot of time for everyone. But now you know!