Sinking Funds and Amortization: purchased a $149,721 home 10 yrs ago, paying 15% down

Kurokaze

I have a math problem that needs to be solved, if you can give me the correct answer you WILL be guaranteed 5 stars. In fact, you do not even need to show work, just please help! Here is the problem:

A person purchased a $149,721 home 10 years ago by paying 15 percent down and signing a 30 year mortgage at 8.4 percent compounded monthly. Interest rates have dropped and the owner wants to refinance the unpaid balance by signing a new 15-year mortgage at 5.4 percent compounded monthly. How much interest will refinancing save?

Money Saved? (Round to the nearest cent as needed.)

I have a math problem that needs to be solved, if you can give me the correct answer you WILL be guaranteed 5 stars. In fact, you do not even need to show work, just please help! Here is the problem:

A person purchased a $149,721 home 10 years ago by paying 15 percent down and signing a 30 year mortgage at 8.4 percent compounded monthly. Interest rates have dropped and the owner wants to refinance the unpaid balance by signing a new 15-year mortgage at 5.4 percent compounded monthly. How much interest will refinancing save?

Money Saved? (Round to the nearest cent as needed.)
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33