Sketching graphs: y = 1/x + 8 ^2

G

If y = 1/x + 8 x^2

how do i go sketching this graph
how do i find the turning points...

thank you

You have posted over sixty times. Many of which are very hard to read.
Why don’t you go to the top of the page to ‘Forum Help’?
There read Karl’s notes-typing math.
This time you posted y=(1/x)+64. I bet that is not what you meant!

americo74 said:
If y = 1/x + 8 ^2
Is the above meant to indicate any of the following?

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{y\,=\,\frac{1}{x}\,+\,64}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{y\,=\,\frac{1}{x}\,+\,8x^2}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{y\,=\,\frac{1}{x\,+\,64}}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{y\,=\,\frac{1}{x\,+\,8x^2}}\)

americo74 said:
how do i go sketching this graph
In the usual way: pick x-values, plug them in, find the corresponding y-values, draw the dots, and sketch the line.

americo74 said:
how do i find the turning points.
Use the first and second derivative tests. How far have you gotten in this process?

Please reply with specifics. Thank you.

Eliz.

Hi there STAPEL

I was just asking whether the first and second derivatives test are what we usually use...

I have got as far as working out the derivatives function...but how can one work out the asymptotes?

thank you

americo74 said:
I was just asking whether the first and second derivatives test are what we usually use.
In the future, it might help if you included your actual question, rather than hoping the tutors guess it. Since you didn't ask "Should I use the First and Second Derivative Tests to find the turning points?", we'd had no way of knowing that this was what you'd needed answered.

americo74 said:
how can one work out the asymptotes?
Since we still can't be sure of what the function is (because you have yet to use clear formatting), we can't answer specifically. But in general, you can either use limits (for the horizontals) and undefined points (for the verticals), or else just use whatever rules they taught you back in algebra.

Eliz.