Slightly odd request

Jamie1989

Hello all,

I hope you can help.

So I need to come up with an equation that will provide any 4 digit number.

It sounds simple which in itself is. But the complex piece is that the equation is being used for a hen parties escape room.

The bride to be is incredibly proficient at math so I'm looking for an equation of a few suggestions that will be challenging enough that she will likely figure it, but enough complexity that she has to think.

Hope this makes sense, if you could possibly provide a few with the answer / how to actually solve it that would be great!!

… an equation that will provide any 4 digit number …
Hi Jamie1989. I'm sure you're looking for a challenge to find a specific (unknown) number, not simply any number with four digits. Instead of a single equation, I'm thinking of a puzzle format, like a brainteaser.

… The bride to be is incredibly proficient at math …
What kind of work does she do?

This one (posted by our late contributor Denis) might keep her in the room for more than an hour, but maybe not (I don't know her, and I don't know whether she'll have access to stuff like paper, pencil, cell-phone calculator).

(Paraphrased) Denis said:
If N is a 4-digit number such that the 2-digit number formed by its first two digits is 1 greater than the 2-digit number formed by its last two digits and N is a square number, then only one such N exists. What is it?

(Denis had recently discovered the special number; it is 8281.)
It could be solved more quickly, by adding clues (eg: to provide the middle two digits or information about the prime factorization).

Does it have to be four digits? This one seeks a 6-digit number that can be worked out in 15-20 minutes (or less, for people with good number sense).

Find a six-digit number that contains no zeros, no duplicated digits, and meets the following conditions.

The sixth digit doubled equals the fourth digit.

The sum of the first two digits equals the sum of the last two digits.

The sum of the fourth and sixth digits equals the fifth digit.

The sum of the first and fifth digits equals the two-digit number formed by the third and fourth digits.

Alternatively, you can google keywords like 4-digit number puzzle riddle, to see other puzzles involving four digits. If you're interested in either of the two examples above, let us know and we can describe the solution.

?

Hi Jamie1989. I'm sure mean a challenge to find a specific (unknown) number, not simply any number with four digits. Instead of a single equation, I'm thinking of a puzzle format, like a brainteaser.

What kind of work does she do?

This one (posted by our late contributor Denis) might keep her in the room for more than an hour, but maybe not (I don't know her, and I don't know whether she'll have access to stuff like paper, pencil, cell-phone calculator).

Does it have to be four digits? This one seeks a 6-digit number that can be worked out in 15-20 minutes (or less, for people with good number sense).

Find a six-digit number that contains no zeros, no duplicated digits, and meets the following conditions.

The sixth digit doubled equals the fourth digit.

The sum of the first two digits equals the sum of the last two digits.

The sum of the fourth and sixth digits equals the fifth digit.

The sum of the first and fifth digits equals the two-digit number formed by the third and fourth digits.

?
Hey!

Thank you for coming back to me. So the 4 digits is specific as it will unlock a lock :)

In terms of what she does, its analytical and data warehouse management. Think she wants to be an actuary one day.

The reason the 4 digit number can be anything is because it's only to unlock a code. I considered a riddle but the equation is more fitting.

Let's say a number we want is 1219 from an equation. Do you have a equation in mind that could tease her brain enough that she has to think to work it out?