Slope Intercept Equation

mhester88

My teacher is struggling this semester with her own person problems and hasn't been around much to help us. I got this question wrong because I didn't write out the slope intercept form equation. If I understand correctly, the slope intercept equation is y=mx+b. Which in this case would mean y=-5/4x-9/4.

Is anyone able to check my understanding of how to find the slope intercept equation for this problem?

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.15.32 AM.png

My teacher is struggling this semester with her own person problems and hasn't been around much to help us. I got this question wrong because I didn't write out the slope intercept form equation. If I understand correctly, the slope intercept equation is y=mx+b. Which in this case would mean y=-5/4x-9/4.

Is anyone able to check my understanding of how to find the slope intercept equation for this problem?

View attachment 25356
Looks good to me.

Your answers of slope and and method of calculations are OK.

Your answer of equation of the line is correct. I do not know what method you followed o calculate this answer - so I cannot comment on the "method".

If I understand correctly, the slope intercept equation is y=mx+b.
Which in this case would mean y=-5/4x-9/4.

mhester88, when typing this out horizontally, I would recommend you place the fractional part of
the coefficient of the x-term inside parentheses (for emphasis) and put spacing as follows
(for better readability):

y = -(5/4)x - 9/4

mhester88, when typing this out horizontally, I would recommend you place the fractional part of
the coefficient of the x-term inside parentheses (for emphasis) and put spacing as follows
(for better readability):

y = -(5/4)x - 9/4
Excellent advice! The use of parentheses is not absolutely necessary but surely avoids lot of Khan-fusion!!