Slope-Intercept Form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathdad

Given y = 3x + 2, find the slope and y-intercept.

Solution:

This is written in the form y = mx + b.

Here, m = slope and b = y-intercept.

So, m = 3 and b = 2.

Can I also express the y-intercept as (0, 2)?

Yes.

Some textbooks use the ordered pair to identify the y-intercept (to make sure students understand that it is a point on the y-axis); others identify it merely by a number, since the term y-intercept tells you it's on the y-axis and there is no need to say more. In my experience, the former is used by lower-level texts, and the latter by books that assume some experience with the concept.

So if you were in a class, the teacher would let you know which form is required (or if it didn't matter) in that class. For yourself, just use whatever makes most sense to you.

Last edited:
Yes.

Some textbooks use the ordered pair to identify the y-intercept (to make sure students understand that it is a point on the y-axis); others identify it merely by a number, since the term y-intercept tells you it's on the y-axis and there is no need to say more. In my experience, the former is used by lower-level texts, and the latter by books that assume some experience with the concept.

So if you were in a class, the teacher would let you know which form is required (or if it didn't matter) in that class. For yourself, just use whatever makes most sense to you.

I concur. I am not in a classroom setting. I will select the easiest method leading to the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.