Slope intercept question help.

qwertypops

Hello,

I have not done math in about 20 years and would like to help my daughter. This is my first post here.

I added an image of the problem. I am hoping that if you walk me through it might jog my memory.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• slope intercept.jpeg
    slope intercept.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 11
Hello,

I have not done math in about 20 years and would like to help my daughter. This is my first post here.

I added an image of the problem. I am hoping that if you walk me through it might jog my memory.

Thank you for your help.
I'll get you started.

The slope of a line is the amount by which y increases when you increase x by 1. For a line, this will be constant, so you can just pick two values of x that differ by 1, find the values of y, and subtract. Or, you can use a formula that will have been taught.

The y-intercept of a line is the value of y when x is 0. Whether you are given a table or a graph, you can just read it from the data.

So, give it a try, and show us what you get. This will help you a lot more than just showing you the answers.

If I were you, I go a little farther than the problems ask you to, and graph both lines in each problem, so you can see visually the effects of the slope and y-intercept. That will give you more to talk about together.

If you don't have a textbook or equivalent to look at, you can start here (more links at the bottom):

It appears that you are asking about "f(x)" and "g(x)" but the definition is only given for "f(x)". Is that all you are asking about?

From the graph for f(x) I see that when x= 0, y= -3. So what is the intercept?

I also see that when x= 1, y= -1. So what is the slope?

It appears that you are asking about "f(x)" and "g(x)" but the definition is only given for "f(x)". Is that all you are asking about?
I believe both problems define an f and a g:
1634160579742.png
A key idea here is that functions are defined using three different models (equation, table, graph), to relate the concepts of slope and y-intercept to each of them.