solve by the substitution method..

bdot

Hey.. I have 3 questions.. I dont know if i am doing them correctly.. i am on limited time because I have to get off the computer for school.. but if someone gets some time could they look over these three questions..thanks bunches math help!!

1. 9x-63=-4y
-5x-2y=-33

My answer : (3, 10) I dont know though. its multiple choice but from the way I got it in school for a short time.. I think..I got swine and missed a week and I missed this.... so I am winging it.. its the end of the semester too for me..... please let me know ... I was also thinking there was not a solution to this one... so any help would be appreciated..

2. x+6y=50
-5+5y=-5

My answer: (8, 7)

3. x + y = 2
x + y = -9

My answer: NONE.. i CANT get a logical answer on this.. I am thinking no solution... ok thanks guys.. check back tomorrow... (((hugs))))))))

1. 9x-63=-4y
-5x-2y=-33

My answer : (3, 10)

2. x+6y=50
-5+5y=-5

My answer: (8, 7)

3. x + y = 2
x + y = -9

My answer: NONE.. i CANT get a logical answer on this.. I am thinking no solution...

The easy way to check your answer is to plug it back into the equations and see if it works. Your answer to the first one, (3,10), obviously does not work. Please show us how you approached this problem so we know where to help you. (Show your work.)

The second one is correct.

You are also correct on the third problem: no solution.

Note: one way to approach these is to rearrange the equations into the form "y = ". Then set the two equations equal to each other and solve for x. Then go back and solve for y after you've got x.

Example:
x+6y=50
-5x+5y=-5

y = (-1/6)x + 50/6
y = x - 1
This is the "substitution" part:
(-1/6)x + 50/6 = x - 1

Now solve for x.