Solve dy/dx = y(4-y) given (0,1)

burgerandcheese

SmartSelect_20200629-221205_Drive.jpg

I just need help with 8(ii). Why is my working wrong? And why did my teacher say that there is no need for the modulus?
If there was no modulus, then I would arrive at -1/3 = e^(4c) after substituting (0,1) but then that would be a false since the range of the exp function is >0 ?? Please help me.

IMG-20200702-WA0021.jpg

You should get y(x)=4e^x/(e^(4x)+3).
You got a problem with one of your signs.

A much less error prone simplification starts where you have [MATH]\frac y {y-4} = \pm e^{4x+4c}[/MATH]. Write that as [math]\frac y {y-4} = \pm e^{4x}e^{4c} = Ke^{4x}[/MATH] so [math]\frac y {y-4} = Ke^{4x}[/MATH]. Now put [MATH]y=1[/MATH] when [MATH]x=0[/MATH] and follow through. It won't be full of logs and will be easier to work without mistakes.

When you multiply C by 4 you get C (it's a different C!).

C and 4C are just constants. Call them C.

Note that y/(y-4) = (y-4)/(y-4) + 4/(y-4) = 1 + 4/(y-4).

Then solve for 1/(y-4) and easily solve for y.

Since ea+b = eaeb you should realize that e4x+c ece4x=ce4x

You should get y(x)=4e^x/(e^(4x)+3).
You got a problem with one of your signs.

I followed Jomo's advice and got this. I think this is correct too.
IMG-20200703-WA0003.jpg

A much less error prone simplification starts where you have [MATH]\frac y {y-4} = \pm e^{4x+4c}[/MATH]. Write that as [math]\frac y {y-4} = \pm e^{4x}e^{4c} = Ke^{4x}[/MATH] so [math]\frac y {y-4} = Ke^{4x}[/MATH]. Now put [MATH]y=1[/MATH] when [MATH]x=0[/MATH] and follow through. It won't be full of logs and will be easier to work without mistakes.

Thank you. Yes I'm aware of this method too, but I purposely chose to deal with logs for this question.

Please show intermediate steps between steps 2 and 3.

How I integrated 1/(y(4-y))?

Now just follow Prof Khan's post and fix the 1st error and you'll be fine.

Why do you keep solving for c when you need 4c? Why not use c for 4c? Math has some grammar and it is grammatically correct to say c rather than 4c