Solve inequation

acemi123

Consider that, Q(x) is a second-degree polinom. Which one is true and why explain, please?

a) just A and C have the same solutions
b) Three inequations have the same solutions
c) Just B and C have the same solutions
d) Just A and B has the same solutions

Hi. Can you please tell us where you are stuck? Maybe show us what you tried?

Here are some questions that should help you. What is the minimum value of x^2 + 3? Can x^2 - 3x + 9 be both positive and negative?

Hi. Can you please tell us where you are stuck? Maybe show us what you tried?

Here are some questions that should help you. What is the minimum value of x^2 + 3? Can x^2 - 3x + 9 be both positive and negative?
Q(x) is positive so I think so the denominator of B also has to be positive, same thing for C, but not knowing Q(x) how to find all solutions? So which one is true?

I think there are no real roots for B.
b^-4ac > 0 but (-3)^ -4.1.9 = -27 its smaller than 0 . It means no real root. Am I right?
OK, good work. So x^2- 3x+ 9 has no real roots. What does that mean for this problem?

View attachment 11784
Consider that, Q(x) is a second-degree polynomial. Which one is true and why explain, please?
I do not think that you correctly understand what is being asked of you.
Given the three inequality in which \(\displaystyle Q(x)\) is is a second-degree polynomial what are possible solutions.
Look \(\displaystyle A)~\frac{Q(x)}{1}>0,~\;B)~\frac{Q(x)}{\left(x^2-\tfrac{3}{2}\right)^2+\tfrac{27}{4}}>0,~\;\&~\;C)\frac{Q(x)}{x^2+3}>0\)
The denominator of each of those three fractions is positive for any value of \(\displaystyle x\).
The polynomial \(\displaystyle Q(x)\) is the numerator and is the only determinate of the sign for each fraction.
Do you now see why b) The three inequalities have the same solutions is the only correct answer?

I think there are no real roots for B.
b^-4ac > 0 but (-3)^ -4.1.9 = -27 its smaller than 0 . It means no real root. Am I right?
So this denominator is always positive or always negative. If you plug in any value for x you will get a positive value. So it is always positive.
In fact, as pka pointed out, all the denominators are positive. So the factions will be positive only when the numerator, which happens to all be Q(x), is positive.

I do not think that you correctly understand what is being asked of you.
Given the three inequality in which \(\displaystyle Q(x)\) is is a second-degree polynomial what are possible solutions.
Look \(\displaystyle A)~\frac{Q(x)}{1}>0,~\;B)~\frac{Q(x)}{\left(x^2-\tfrac{3}{2}\right)^2+\tfrac{27}{4}}>0,~\;\&~\;C)\frac{Q(x)}{x^2+3}>0\)
The denominator of each of those three fractions is positive for any value of \(\displaystyle x\).
The polynomial \(\displaystyle Q(x)\) is the numerator and is the only determinate of the sign for each fraction.
Do you now see why b) The three inequalities have the same solutions is the only correct answer?
It is the correct answer, thank you but to be sure I found another one. If the solution depends on P(x) why this one has a different solution?
I will tell you the answer after your explaining for bottom inequation.

d) Just A and B have the same solutions

Attachments

• equation1.png
    equation1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 5
You should know that the polynomial \(\displaystyle px^2+qx+t=0,~p\ne 0\) has two real roots if and only if \(\displaystyle q^2-4pt>0\).
That is, its discriminate is positive.

It is the correct answer, thank you but to be sure I found another one. If the solution depends on P(x) why this one has a different solution?
I will tell you the answer after your explaining for bottom inequation.

View attachment 11807

d) Just A and B have the same solutions
Have you pondered how to solve this, or just looked up the answer? You have to do the former in order to learn. And if you did, you should see the difference between the problems.

Each of the inequalities will be true whenever P(x) > 0 and the denominator is positive, OR when P(x) < 0 and the denominator is negative.

In the original problem, all the denominators were always positive, so the solutions were exactly the solutions of P(x) > 0.

In this problem, one of the denominators is sometimes negative. Specifically, x^4 - 1 can be negative, whereas x^4 + 1 is always positive. Can you see why this is so?

As a result, (B) will have a different truth value in (-1, 1). So the answer is that only A and C have the same solution.

Did you come up with that reasoning? It's exactly the same reasoning you were shown for the first problem, but with a different conclusion because of the different denominators.