Solve the following...

aweeks123

Find the remainder when 51000 is divided by 4.

I do not know how to begin this problem...

What level of Mathematics class are you taking?

What is the topic of discussion - that generated this problem (HW)?

Excuse me but no one here is going to solve anything for you. This is a help forum where we help students solve their problems. What helpers here never do is solve a problem for a student-that is your job!

Here is a hint: Divide 51000 by 4 (using long division or any other division method you know) and see what the remainder is?
Do you know what a remainder is??

If you go into a store with $51,000 and keep buying an item that cost exactly $4 each (no tax), how much money will be left in the end? That will be your remainder.

I'm not trying to be insulting but if you are studying modular arithmetic you are at least in a High School level algebra course. If that's the case then you should already know how to find a remainder! You should have been taught that years ago.

All numbers p may be expressed in the form p = qn + r. n is called the "divisor" and r is called the "remainder." So, for example, if we have the number p = 61 and we divide it by n = 7 we have 61 = 8 * 7 + 5. The remainder is r = 5. To find this on a calculator you simply divide 61 by 7. The whole number part is q = 8. Then find r = 61 - 7 * 8 = 5.

Now, what is the remainder when you divide 51000 by 4?

-Dan

The answer to your question is quite easy if you know your divisibility rules. What is the divisibility rule for 4?