solve this Question Please about Mean (reverse)

Bazal

The mean weight of 1,000 snails is 32 grams. If one snail joins
the group and the mean weight becomes 33 grams then what is
the weight of the additional snail?

Here's some questions to help YOU solve the problem.
1. What is the total weight of all 1000 snails if the mean is 32?
2. What must be the total weight of all 1001 snails if the mean weight is 33?
3. So, what is the weight of the additional snail?

1g? i think because the wait increased one gram when the additional snail was added. that was very easy why didnt i see it

Last edited:
1g? i think because the wait increased one gram when the additional snail was added. that was very easy why didnt i see it
Lets see what you are saying. Suppose your average in statistics after 1000 exams is 32 and then you get a 1 on the next exam. You claim that your average will increase by 1 to a average of 33.

So if there are many more test and you keep getting a score of 1 (and your average keeps going up by 1) you will eventually have a high average and earn an A in the class. Does this make sense to you?

An average of 32g after weighing 1000 snails is the same as if each of the 1000 snails weight was 32g.

Then you add one more snail making a total of 1001 snail. Compute the average. That is add up all the weights of the 1001 snails and divide by 1001. You are told that this average is now 33. Find the weight of the unknown snail.

I am hoping you didn't see it because it is wrong! Adding a 1 g snail to the 1000 would increase the total weight by 1 gram, not the average weight!

Instead of guessing, answer the question asked earlier- What is the total weight or 1000 snails that average 32 g each? What would be the total weight of 1001 snails that average 33 grams each? How much must that one additional snail have weighed?