Solving Equations: Multiplication Property? (solving x/6=2)

TheSara

So in my homework, it doesn't say how to do the fraction problems. Here's the problem:

Solve and check.
x/6 = 2

Simple enough, right? Not for me!

Please help?

~Sara

Re: Solving Equations: Multiplication Property?

TheSara said:
So in my homework, it doesn't say how to do the fraction problems. Here's the problem:

Solve and check.
x/6 = 2

Please help?

~Sara

Hi TheSara,

When you have an equation like this where a fraction is involved, multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator. This will make it easier to solve.

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{6}=2\)

\(\displaystyle 6(\frac{x}{6})=6(2)\)

\(\displaystyle x=12\)

Now to check, substitute 12 for x and see what happens.

Good luck and hang in there.

1) If one-half of something is six, what do you do to find all of that something?
2) If one-third of something is 10, what do you do to find all of that something?
3) If one-sixth of something is 2, what do you do to find all of that something?

I hope you answered by saying for 1), double the 6, or multiply by 2.
For 2) multiply the 10 by 3.
For 3) multiply the 2 by 6.

If so, you are on the right track. Mechanically, what we do in algebra is to do the same operation to both sides of the equation. That way, we keep the equation in "balance". So, in your case, you identify what to do in order to find the value of that "something" (x). We have to multiply by 6. If we do that to both sides of the equation we will keep it in balance (like a teeter totter) and we will have our solution.

TheSara said:
x/6 = 2
Sara, look at it this way: what number divided by 6 equals 2 ? Or 6 goes 2 times in what number?