Solving Exponents And Brackets

Garth Vader

Hello,

I play a game simply called Math I downloaded from Google Play.
I am trying to improve my math knowledge and learn more.
I am stuck at level 15.
I have researched exponents but cant find an explanation to the problem (attached) I read that one should multiply every exponent inside brackets with the exponent outside the bracket. Is this accurate?
So i get 66x2=132 66x3=198
Then what do I do next? Screenshot_20200805-114502_Math Riddles.jpg

Thank you,
Garth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-114515_Math Riddles.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-114515_Math Riddles.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I play a game simply called Math I downloaded from Google Play.
I am trying to improve my math knowledge and learn more.
I am stuck at level 15.
I have researched exponents but cant find an explanation to the problem (attached) I read that one should multiply every exponent inside brackets with the exponent outside the bracket. Is this accurate?
Then what do I do next? View attachment 20834

Thank you,
Garth
You need to follow PEMDAS

First deal with parentheses - then deal with exponent. What do you get when you simplify the parentheses?

Continue......

1596627450145.png

Then what do I do next? View attachment 20834

Thank you,
Garth
What you read is about simplifying an expression (with variables). That's not what you need to do here, which is just to evaluate the expression (producing a number). To do that, you follow the order of operations, which means working "from the inside out", and doing exponents before multiplications and then additions.

Thank you for your reply.
Would you be able to show me the answer so I can try get to it myself?
When I try it comes to 2 260 764!

Thank you for your reply.
Would you be able to show me the answer so I can try get to it myself?
When I try it comes to 2 260 764!
Did you simplify the "inside" of the parentheses - where you have::

32 - 23

What did you get?

Please show all the steps.

Yes, so I did 66x3=198 then 66x2=132
Then 198x198= 39204 132x132x132=2 299 968
2 299 968 - 39204 = 2 260 764

Please help me and show the workings. If I knew how to do the method I wouldn't have a problem.

Yes, so I did 66x3=198 then 66x2=132
Then 198x198= 39204 132x132x132=2 299 968
2 299 968 - 39204 = 2 260 764
To Garth, The problem \(\large \left(3^2-2^3\right)^{66}=~?\) is designed to be a 10 second problem(i.e. it can be done in ten seconds).
So look at the inside.

@pka @Subhotosh Khan @Dr.Peterson
Hello everyone,
I joined this forum today and have asked only 1 question. I dropped Maths in grade 8 as I couldn't do it. Im now 42 and am trying to learn it again.
All I asked for was help on a super simple problem (simple to ppl who understand maths)
I have recieved nothing but ambiguous and mis directive info. I am absolutely no closer to understanding the equation or how exponents work.
I really don't understand what this forum exists for if not to help people.
I can measure, cut, weld and grind a 6ft x 6ft steel frame in 10 mins but a newbie to welding will take weeks to get it right.
I don't have the knowledge, I don't have the know how which is why I came here to ask people who do know how.
But its obviously too much effort.
I will delete my account after this message.
I need it explained, shown to me, taught to me. Not told it takes 10 seconds.
Good bye.

Did you simplify the "inside" of the parentheses - where you have::

32 - 23

What did you get?

Do you know that:

32 = 3 x 3

and

23 = 2 x 2 x 2

Please show all the steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@pka @Subhotosh Khan @Dr.Peterson
Hello everyone,
I joined this forum today and have asked only 1 question. I dropped Maths in grade 8 as I couldn't do it. Im now 42 and am trying to learn it again.
All I asked for was help on a super simple problem (simple to ppl who understand maths)
I have recieved nothing but ambiguous and mis directive info.
No, you refused to ask for clarification when you did not understand. What you read somewhere ELSE is misleading.

[MATH](2^2)^3 = (4)^3 = 64 = 2^6[/MATH]
is true. The reason that it is true is because you do what is inside parentheses first. That is the general rule. What you read in that book is a shortcut that works only in the special case that the only thing you need to do inside the parenthesis is to do exponentiation.

[MATH](2^4 + 3^2)^3 \text { DOES NOT EQUAL } 2^{12} +3^6 = 4096 + 729 = 4825.[/MATH]
You do what is in the parentheses first. You do exponentiation before you do addition.

[MATH](2^4 + 3^2)^3 = (16 + 9)^3 = 25^3 = 15625.[/MATH]
The rules about what order operations are done in is abbreviated PEMDAS. Have you heard of that?

It stands for parentheses (actually grouping symbols generally) first, exponentiation second, multiplication and division third, and addition and subtraction last.

You never should have been given this problem if you had not been introduced to the rules abbreviated by PEMDAS. It was quite reasonable for us to assume that you were aware of those rules. We then asked you to follow those rules.

I have given you an example. Can you apply it to your problem?

By the way, I doubt you learned how to weld by asking others to do your welding jobs for you. How we work here is that we ask questions or give hints so that you can do the work yourself. We do not do your work for you.

I will delete my account after this message.
I need it explained, shown to me, taught to me. Not told it takes 10 seconds.
To quote R L Moore who some think was the best mathematics teacher ever, "mathematics is not a specter activity".
One learns mathematics only by doing mathematics.
\(\large(3^2-2^3)^{66}=(9-8)^{66}=(1)^{66}=1\)