Solving for combined productivity

BrentCheeks

Hello freeMATHhelp forum!

My name is Brent and I've been banging my head against this problem for the last twenty minutes trying to wrap my mind around it. I've tried a few solutions and because I'm aware of the "ballpark" of the actual answer the solution of the theoretical answer has got me a little stumped.

I'm looking at productivity as a function of (X) square-feet of (1) layer of material being installed over the course of (8) hours. Each (8) hour unit is what we call a "Man-Day" and is how we look at labor in my industry. In my mind I know that if I have (2) layers of material and they can be installed at (600) SF / MD - square-feet per man-day - then they should be able to install BOTH layers of material in (300) SF / MD - like a sandwich. I've written a formula to attempt to explain this and it doesn't hold up when I increase the complexity and think about easier numbers.

In this example if I have (3) layers of material and all (3) of them are installed at the same productivity (600) SF / MD then is it 600/2/2 or (150) SF / MD or is it the 600/3 or (200) SF / MD? When I apply that below it gets confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

My formula:

Layer #1 - 400 SF / MD
Layer #2 - 500 SF / MD
Layer #3 - 700 SF / MD
Layer #4 - 700 SF / MD
Layer #5 - 800 SF / MD

TOTAL SF = 3100 SF
TOTAL MD = 5 MD
AVG SF / MD = 620 SF / MD
TOTAL Layers = 5
AVG SF / MD / 5 Layer = 124 SF / MD

Y'know I've been thinking about it a little differently this afternoon. If I make the productivity a function of time in a unit that makes sense then my brain seems to understand it differently.

For example, it takes (1) hour to do (100) SF. If you have (2) layers and it takes you (1) hour to do the first (100) SF and (2) hours to do the second (100) SF then it takes (3) hours to do (200) SF. By that token a Man-Day is just another way of saying "unit of 8 hours," right? So if I re-write my previous formula with hours the amount of time should increase in a way that might make sense.

Here goes nothin'!

Layer #1 - 400 SF / 8 Hours (50 SF / Hour)
Layer #2 - 500 SF / 8 Hours (62.5 SF / Hour)
Layer #3 - 700 SF / 8 Hours (87.5 SF / Hour)
Layer #4 - 700 SF / 8 Hours (87.5 SF / Hour)
Layer #5 - 800 SF / 8 Hours (100 SF / Hour)

What if I look at the percentages of each layer that get installed within the time-frame and weight them accordingly? So in (8) hours let's say I can install all (5) layers at 8/5=1.6 times the hourly productivity.

Does that mean that (50*1.6)+(62.5*1.6)+(87.5*2*1.6)+(100*1.6) = how many square feet of the entire assembly of (5) layers I can install in (1) 8-hour period?

Hey guys! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read the forum guidelines before posting. I hope I haven't violated any rules. Cheers!

Upon further inspection of the forum posting guidelines I'm aware of the possibility that I posted my question to the wrong forum. I figured this would be basic algebra but is the question considered business / finance math? At the risk of violating the forum guideline for "re-posting" or "cross-posting" I'd rather not cut and paste this over to another forum unless it's confirmed by a moderator or admin that, indeed, my question is in the wrong heading.

Any guidance here would be appreciated. Cheers!

Hello freeMATHhelp forum!

My name is Brent and I've been banging my head against this problem for the last twenty minutes trying to wrap my mind around it. I've tried a few solutions and because I'm aware of the "ballpark" of the actual answer the solution of the theoretical answer has got me a little stumped.

I'm looking at productivity as a function of (X) square-feet of (1) layer of material being installed over the course of (8) hours. Each (8) hour unit is what we call a "Man-Day" and is how we look at labor in my industry. In my mind I know that if I have (2) layers of material and they can be installed at (600) SF / MD - square-feet per man-day - then they should be able to install BOTH layers of material in (300) SF / MD - like a sandwich. I've written a formula to attempt to explain this and it doesn't hold up when I increase the complexity and think about easier numbers.

In this example if I have (3) layers of material and all (3) of them are installed at the same productivity (600) SF / MD then is it 600/2/2 or (150) SF / MD or is it the 600/3 or (200) SF / MD? When I apply that below it gets confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

My formula:

Layer #1 - 400 SF / MD
Layer #2 - 500 SF / MD
Layer #3 - 700 SF / MD
Layer #4 - 700 SF / MD
Layer #5 - 800 SF / MD

TOTAL SF = 3100 SF
TOTAL MD = 5 MD
AVG SF / MD = 620 SF / MD
TOTAL Layers = 5
AVG SF / MD / 5 Layer = 124 SF / MD
This is an appropriate forum. It's just that all tutors here are unpaid volunteers and have many other responsibilities so answers are not immediate..

So bear with us. You might want to look at this as well

Now I am a little mixed up. It takes one man-day to install 1 layer of 600 sq ft of material. You are assuming that there is no loss of productivity to install multiple layers, correct?

If I understand that correctly, you need the following formula

[MATH]m = \dfrac{n \times s}{600}, \text { where}[/MATH]
[MATH]m = \text {number of man days required;}[/MATH]
[MATH]n = \text {number of layers required, and}[[/MATH]
[MATH]s = \text {area to be covered measured in square feet.}[/MATH]
So if you need to cover an area of 400 feet in a triple layer, you will need

[MATH]\text {man days required } = \dfrac{3 \times 400}{600} = \dfrac{1200}{600} = 2.[/MATH]
Work with that for a few examples. If the answers do not appear to make sense, please come back and explain why.

Thank you for shedding some light and for posting the Guidelines Summary - I hadn't read that post yet and it was informative.

I'm a little confused by your formula but I'm going to apply it to my example above. Man-Day is just a productivity unit like miles per hour except Man-Day in my field / this example is square feet of material installed per eight hours. Each layer has its own difficulty-rating so one layer might be installed at 800 square-feet in 8 hours and another really difficult layer might be installed at 400 square feet in 8 hours. My productivity formula above was an attempt to capture this by saying:

I attempted to reverse the formula instead of solving for square-feet per 8 hours I tried to look at the 8 hour time-block as a unit of measurement that could be divided evenly among the layers so: [MATH]8 \div 5 = 1.6[/MATH] for simplicity sake I'm going to say the layers get installed in equal parts of the 8 hour period. If I take the square-feet per hour of installation productivity and multiply each individually by 1.6 it looks like this:

Layer #1 - [MATH](50 \times 1.6) = 80[/MATH] square-feet of layer #1 in 8 hours
Layer #2 - [MATH](62.5 \times 1.6) = 100[/MATH] square-feet of layer #2 in 8 hours
Layer #3 - [MATH](87.5 \times 1.6) = 140[/MATH] square-feet of layer #3 in 8 hours
Layer #4 - [MATH](87.5 \times 1.6) = 140[/MATH] square-feet of layer #4 in 8 hours
Layer #5 - [MATH](100 \times 1.6) = 160[/MATH] square-feet of layer #5 in 8 hours

Consequently [MATH]80+100+140+140+160 = 620[/MATH] square-feet of all five layers in equal parts installed per 8 hours.

Does that make mathematical sense? I think I ended up just confusing myself even more. It doesn't make sense in my mind when I think of the practical application. A man standing on a roof is going to physically install 620 square-feet of all 5 layers of roof in 8 hours. I guess in my mind that seems much higher than I think it should be. In my mind it seems more plausible that a person could install closer to 150 square-feet of the 5-layer assembly in 8 hours than 600 square-feet. Does that make sense?

Your formula is a little confusing for me:

man days required [MATH]m=(n \times s)/600[/MATH] because it's solving for man days required. But if I spin your formula and solve for square feet - using the square-feet per 8 hours from my process above - and make man days = 1 then it looks like this:

[MATH]1 = \dfrac{5 \times s}{620} = 620 =5 \times s = \dfrac{620}{5} = 124[/MATH]
I'm taking the 620 from my formula above which hopefully shows how many square-feet I can install of all 5-layers in one 8-hour time-block. And using your formula I think we just solved for m=1 - so in my assembly above (1) man can install (124) SF of all 5-layers of roofing material in (1) 8-hour time block. Does that make sense?

Thank you for shedding some light and for posting the Guidelines Summary - I hadn't read that post yet and it was informative.

I'm a little confused by your formula but I'm going to apply it to my example above. Man-Day is just a productivity unit like miles per hour except Man-Day in my field / this example is square feet of material installed per eight hours. Each layer has its own difficulty-rating so one layer might be installed at 800 square-feet in 8 hours and another really difficult layer might be installed at 400 square feet in 8 hours. My productivity formula above was an attempt to capture this by saying:

I attempted to reverse the formula instead of solving for square-feet per 8 hours I tried to look at the 8 hour time-block as a unit of measurement that could be divided evenly among the layers so: [MATH]8 \div 5 = 1.6[/MATH] for simplicity sake I'm going to say the layers get installed in equal parts of the 8 hour period. If I take the square-feet per hour of installation productivity and multiply each individually by 1.6 it looks like this:

Layer #1 - [MATH](50 \times 1.6) = 80[/MATH] square-feet of layer #1 in 8 hours
Layer #2 - [MATH](62.5 \times 1.6) = 100[/MATH] square-feet of layer #2 in 8 hours
Layer #3 - [MATH](87.5 \times 1.6) = 140[/MATH] square-feet of layer #3 in 8 hours
Layer #4 - [MATH](87.5 \times 1.6) = 140[/MATH] square-feet of layer #4 in 8 hours
Layer #5 - [MATH](100 \times 1.6) = 160[/MATH] square-feet of layer #5 in 8 hours

Consequently [MATH]80+100+140+140+160 = 620[/MATH] square-feet of all five layers in equal parts installed per 8 hours.

Does that make mathematical sense? I think I ended up just confusing myself even more. It doesn't make sense in my mind when I think of the practical application. A man standing on a roof is going to physically install 620 square-feet of all 5 layers of roof in 8 hours. I guess in my mind that seems much higher than I think it should be. In my mind it seems more plausible that a person could install closer to 150 square-feet of the 5-layer assembly in 8 hours than 600 square-feet. Does that make sense?

Your formula is a little confusing for me:

man days required [MATH]m=(n \times s)/600[/MATH] because it's solving for man days required. But if I spin your formula and solve for square feet - using the square-feet per 8 hours from my process above - and make man days = 1 then it looks like this:

[MATH]1 = \dfrac{5 \times s}{620} = 620 =5 \times s = \dfrac{620}{5} = 124[/MATH]
I'm taking the 620 from my formula above which hopefully shows how many square-feet I can install of all 5-layers in one 8-hour time-block. And using your formula I think we just solved for m=1 - so in my assembly above (1) man can install (124) SF of all 5-layers of roofing material in (1) 8-hour time block. Does that make sense?
Great.

I misunderstood your first post. My incorrect assumption that there was no difference in productivity for different layers did not reflect all of your first post, but was based on the words "all (3) of them are installed at the same productivity (600) SF / MD." I did ask if that was correct. My formula works ONLY if that assumption is correct.

There are probably different ways to achieve what you want, but I am going to use what I think is simplest on the assumption that the area to be covered is the same for each layer.

[MATH]\text {Let:}[/MATH]
[MATH]m = \text {man days required;}[/MATH]
[MATH]s = \text {area to be covered in square feet, and}[/MATH]
[MATH]L = \text {number of levels required.}[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {If } L = 1 \text {, then } m = \dfrac{s}{400}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {If } L = 2 \text {, then } m = \dfrac{s}{400} + \dfrac{s}{500} = \dfrac{9s}{2000}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {If } L = 3 \text {, then } m = \dfrac{9s}{2000} + \dfrac{s}{700} = \dfrac{83s}{14000}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {If } L = 4 \text {, then } m = \dfrac{83s}{14000} + \dfrac{s}{700} = \dfrac{103s}{14000}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {If } L = 5 \text {, then } m = \dfrac{103s}{14000} + \dfrac{s}{800} = \dfrac{120.5s}{14000}.[/MATH]
Let's see why that may work.

Suppose we want one layer for 2800 square feet. This will obviously take 7 man days because only 400 square feet (or 1/7th of the total area) can be done in one many day.
Our formula says 2800/400 = 7, which is correct.

Suppose we want two layers for 2800 square feet. The first layer will take 7 man days as we saw above. But for the second layer, we can do 500 square feet a day, which means that we can do the second layer in 5.6 man days. So the total is 12.6 man days.
Our formula says 9 * 2800/2000 = 12.6, which is correct.

Suppose we want three layers for 2800 square feet. The first two layers will take 12.6 man days as we saw above. But for the third layer, we can do 700 square feet a day, which means that we can do the third layer in 4 man days. So the total is 16.6 man days.
Our formula says 83 * 2800/14000 = 16.6, which is correct.

Suppose we want four layers for 2800 square feet. The first three layers will take 16.6 man days as we saw above. But for the fourth layer, we can do 700 square feet a day, which means that we can do the fourth layer in 4 man days. So the total is 20.6 man days.
Our formula says 103 * 2800/14000 = 20.6, which is correct.

Suppose we want five layers for 2800 square feet. The first four layers layers will take 20.6 man days as we saw above. But for the fifth layer, we can do 800 square feet a day, which means that we can do the fifth layer in 3.5 man days. So the total is 24.1 man days.
Our formula says 120.5 * 2800/14000 = 24.1, which is correct.

Does this work?

If productivity changes in the future, you can see how I came up with the factors. It is a problem in adding fractions and so a problem in getting common denominators. They teach you the mechanics in fourth grade, but they do not teach you how to figure out when you need it.

Yes JeffM! That works perfectly! And, to be honest with you, I'm a little confused about some of your calculations but I setup an Excel Spreadsheet with a Lookup table for productivity values and setup "n" layer cells so they can be added or subtracted regardless of the number of layers in the system. The basic division is simple - 2800 / 400 = 7 man days // add that to 2800 / 5 = 5.6 and get 12.6. Hah! So simple!

What I find a bit confusing is the formula - to add the fractions you're getting a common denominator (which you called out) so in your L=2 formula that is 2000 - you multiply (s/400) by one (5/5) to get (5s/2000) and you multiple (s/500) by one (4/4) to get (4s/2000) so you can add them together and get (9s/2000).

So to answer my original question if we take the 24.1 total man-days and divide that into the 2800 square-footage we can install approximately 116.18 square feet of the five-layers per man-day - which is much more accurate than my "eye-ball" of 150. LOL!

so if I were to set this up in my Excel spreadsheet differently I wouldn't have to do it the way I described in the first paragraph I could take the productivity variables as you outlined them above and use the same "sequencing" - actually...yeah, that makes sense!

EUREKA!!!!!

Thank you!

I do not know if you are still following this thread. If you want to send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the excel program. It is very simple.