Solving Fractional Linear Equations

ourspolaire

I normally don't have trouble with Algebra, but I know I'm probably forgetting a step in my equations that makes it almost impossible for me to solve these. Here's the one in specific I've been working on for some time.

9/x+2=2x/(x+3)

I get to this...

9/x-2x/(x+3)+2=0

And then I get stuck because I can't seem to multiply to simplify, I don't have a common denominator so I can add or subtract, and I have no idea how to find the common multiple between x, x+3, and 1 in order to multiply all of the numbers by that common multiple to simplify and solve the equation for x. (Grrr! Just how do I get that stupid x to the other side???)

I need to figure out the method of doing this before tomorrow morning, but they're not granting me a math tutor until tomorrow afternoon (a few hours too late, I think). Is there anyone who can help me out and tell me which step I'm missing that will help me solve for x?

I normally don't have trouble with Algebra, but I know I'm probably forgetting a step in my equations that makes it almost impossible for me to solve these. Here's the one in specific I've been working on for some time.

9/x+2=2x/(x+3)

I get to this...

9/x-2x/(x+3)+2=0

And then I get stuck because I can't seem to multiply to simplify, I don't have a common denominator so I can add or subtract, and I have no idea how to find the common multiple between x, x+3, and 1 in order to multiply all of the numbers by that common multiple to simplify and solve the equation for x. (Grrr! Just how do I get that stupid x to the other side???)

I need to figure out the method of doing this before tomorrow morning, but they're not granting me a math tutor until tomorrow afternoon (a few hours too late, I think). Is there anyone who can help me out and tell me which step I'm missing that will help me solve for x?

Multiply every thing by LCM of the denominators - to eliminate fractions.

Think how ypu would solve the following without usin calculator:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{1}{3} \ = \ ??\)

Last edited by a moderator: