Solving Multi-Step Equations: 78m = 3c + 12 - c + 4

math87690

First I just want to thank you for the help on the last one. But this one is even more hard:

The problem is 78m=3c+12-c+4

...and I don't know what to do because there are now 2 varibles c and m.

You can solve for either one.

I really would like to know who first decided to teach that there is a significant difference between "single step" problems and "multi-step" functions. Just solve it. Who cares how many steps it takes? The rules are the same. Why scare the student with the "m"-word!?

If they didn't specify (in the instructions) which variable to solve for, then I don't see what they can expect of you. It is not mathematically possible to arrive at a unique solution for one equation in two variables.

This might be a typo, of course; the "m" might be supposed to be a "c". You might want to ask your instructor about that....

Eliz.

I am sorry I copied the problem down wrong it is 78=3c+12-c+4 I got the adding -1c (-c) part but I can't get the rest because there are three of them the 78,12,and the 4.

math87690 said:
I am sorry I copied the problem down wrong it is 78=3c+12-c+4 I got the adding -1c (-c) part but I can't get the rest because there are three of them the 78,12,and the 4.
It's just one number more than what you've worked with before. There is no qualitative difference between the previous exercises and this one.

Combine the 3c and the -1c.

Combine the 12 and the 4.

Subtract the number on the right-hand side.

Divide through.

Eliz.