Solving Respiration Fluxes in Terrestrial Ecosystems (Arithmetic: addition, subtraction, and division)

Kaikash

Overview:

Researchers have been studying a temperate grassland ecosystem with the view to understand it's current status with regard to carbon inputs and outputs and to identify whether the grassland is currently a sink or source of carbon.

Investigation:

The aim of this investigation is to calculate each individual respiration flux value to equal the net flux value of 1300 (RT). I have been trying for days, and I just cannot figure out how to answer this question.

If anyone can help, I would be deeply appreciative.

What is a respiration flux?

Respiration fluxes within an ecosystem can be subset into autotrophic respiration (plant, root, and shoot respiration) and heterotrophic respiration (soil, microbial, and animal respiration) (See Figure 1).

Respiration Flux Abbreviations

1. RT = Total respiration
  2. RA = animal respiration
  3. RS = soil respiration
  4. RM = microbial respiration
  5. RP-R = plant roots
  6. RP-S = plant shoots
Questions: (Figure 1 may help to understand respiration fluxes)

1. Researchers measured the total ecosystem respiration as RT = 1300 g C m-2yr-1 (see Table 1). What is included in this total respiration RT?

2. The researchers measured soil respiration as Rs = 900 g C m-2yr-1 and estimate animal respiration above ground as RA = 50 g C m-2yr-1.

Calculate the respiration values for plant shoots (Rp-s), plant roots (Rp-r), and microbial activity (RM).

Values we have been given: RT=1300, RP=800, RS = 900, and RA = 50.

We need to find RP-S =?, RP-R =?, and RM =?.

Table 1: Respiration Flux values for temperature grassland

Figure 1: A visual representation of carbon and respiraion flux movements in terrestrial ecosystems

… Arithmetic: addition, subtraction, and division …

… Values we have been given: RT=1300, RP=800, RS = 900, and RA = 50 …

… Calculate the respiration values for plant shoots (Rp-s), plant roots (Rp-r) and microbial activity (RM) …

… I have been trying for days, and I just cannot figure out how to answer this question …
Please read the forum's submission guidelines; start with this summary.

Can you explain the relationship between the known and unknown values? (I don't know whether we have any biology tutors in the forum.)

Please show some of your efforts, to help tutors see what you're trying to do. Thank you!

?