Some help needed

Aarna

Sasha’s secret passcode is a nine-digit number that begins and ends with 6. The
sum of every three consecutive digits in the number is 14. What is the fifth digit
of Sasha’s passcode?

How would I solve this?

sum of every three consecutive digits in the number is 14. What is the fifth digit
of Sasha’s passcode?

How would I solve this?
The first and ninth place is filled with 6. So there are 7 more spaces left to be filled with choices from 10 digits (0 - 9). Continue.....

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

sum of every three consecutive digits in the number is 14.
What is the fifth digit
of Sasha’s passcode?

How would I solve this?
I would start by just trying to make a passcode that fits the description, without deep thought, just to get a feel for how much freedom you have.

For example, you have 6 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 6. Suppose you fill in the second digit with, say, 4. Is the third digit forced on you, or can you make another free choice? Keep going: 6 4 ? _ _ _ _ _ 6

What goes wrong?

To find an actual solution, if you've learned a little algebra, you might next try calling that second digit x: 6 x _ _ _ _ _ _ 6. Or, you could just try every possibility, and maybe discover something along the way.

The first and ninth place is filled with 6. So there are 7 more spaces left to be filled with choices from 10 digits (0 - 9). Continue.....

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem
6,3,5,5,4,9,1,7,6 this is what my answer was. But then I thought then can't the numbers be different every time the question is solved because you can use different combinations to make 14?

I would start by just trying to make a passcode that fits the description, without deep thought, just to get a feel for how much freedom you have.

For example, you have 6 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 6. Suppose you fill in the second digit with, say, 4. Is the third digit forced on you, or can you make another free choice? Keep going: 6 4 ? _ _ _ _ _ 6

What goes wrong?

To find an actual solution, if you've learned a little algebra, you might next try calling that second digit x: 6 x _ _ _ _ _ _ 6. Or, you could just try every possibility, and maybe discover something along the way.
But even with algebra, couldn't the answers change every time because you can use different combinations to make 14?

6,3,5,5,4,9,1,7,6 this is what my answer was. But then I thought then can't the numbers be different every time the question is solved because you can use different combinations to make 14?
The
sum of every three consecutive digits in the number is 14.
In your example, what is the sum of 2 nd., 3 rd. & 4 th. digit? - not 14 !

Oh! I get it, you must use simultaneous equations for this! Thank you!
The approach I had in mind needs only one variable; you put this under Arithmetic, so I didn't know whether you could even use that. (Yes, it can be solved without algebra, by thinking about how addition works.) But this approach is ultimately equivalent.

And my expectation was that once you made an attempt and looked at it, you would realize that it didn't really fit the rules! (Unless you happened to make a lucky guess.) Trying a specific example is often important for understanding the meaning of a problem.