Speed and distance maths question not physics

MathsFormula

This is a maths algebra question and not physics so I don't think I'm meant to know the formula speed = distance / time so I won't use it.

Question says : A man runs to a
telephone and back in 900 seconds. His speed on the way to the telephone is 5 m/s and his speed on the way back is 4 m/s. Find the distance to the telephone.

My method :

900 seconds is divided in the ratio 5:4

= 500 : 400

So has been travelling 400 seconds to the telephone and 500 seconds on the way back.

Therefore distance to the telephone is 400 seconds travelled at 5 m/s = 400 × 5 = 2000 m

This is the correct answer but not a very neat method. This question was meant to be figured out using algebra. Please advise on an algebraic method. Thank you

[1]@5.........d...........>t seconds

[2]<...........d............@4
900-t seconds

Hello Denis,
Unfortunately I don't understand what you are saying in the first two lines.

I think you're saying "at 5 m/s the distance travelled takes t seconds. Then the next line makes less sense to me.

Please guide me a little more. Thanks.

This is a maths algebra question and not physics so I don't think I'm meant to know the formula speed = distance / time so I won't use it.

telephone and back in 900 seconds. His speed on the way to the telephone is 5 m/s and his speed on the way back is 4 m/s. Find the distance to the telephone.

My method :

So has been travelling 400 seconds to the telephone and 500 seconds on the way back.

Therefore distance to the telephone is 400 seconds travelled at 5 m/s = 400 × 5 = 2000 m

This is the correct answer but not a very neat method. This question was meant to be figured out using algebra. Please advise on an algebraic method. Thank you

Just as a matter of clearing something up for me: You did use speed=distance/time formula but in the rearranged form distance= speed*time. When asked 'math' questions such as this, you are many times expected to use some physics formulas.

Anyway, to get the time you can use the two formulas [akin to those of Denis and yours]
t1 + t2 = 900
t1/t2 = 5/4
That will give you the times envolved and you can use the distance formula to get the distance.

Hello, sorry I couldn't get to replying sooner.

I've used bits of the ideas of from Den2is and Ishuda to get to my own solutions.

But I had to specifically use the physics formula speed = distance / time

t1 = time to the telephone.

t1 + t2 = 900 ... (iii)

Speed = distance / time

5 = d/t1 .... (i)

4 = d/t2 .... (ii)

From (i) and (ii)

5t1=42

Solving simultaneous equations (i) (ii) and (iii) t
we get t1 = 400

Speed = distance / time

So 5 = distance / 400

Distance = 2000 m

I don't know how I would have done the question without knowing the formula. I can just about see a method but can'tcan't quite decipher it (it's at the tip of my tongue you could say).

I tried Ishuda method of ratios which I thought was brilliant UNTIL I came to the answer.

t1/t2 = 5/4

t2 = 4/5 (t1)

Using t1 + t2 = 900 ... (iii)

And solving gives t1 = 500 seconds.

Then I solved further and got distance = 2500m

If the answer wasn't on the book to tell me I'm wrong I never would have realised that it's impossible for the journey to the phone take longer time than the way back.

Have I done the ratio the wrong way or something?
Is my reasoning lacking. I know this is an elementary question but I've made it massive in my mind.

Pretend

My method :

Pretend you know the distance to the pole, call it D.

The time to get to the pole is then D/(5 m/s).

The time to return is D/(4 m/s).

We know that D/(5 m/s) + D/(4 m/s) = 900 s

Solving for D gives you 2000 m. I think no matter how you solve the problem you need to know the definition of speed in terms of the units that it is measured in. BTW I like your original solution, most efficient.