Speed of Wind, giving flying time both ways, ground speed

Jen123

Question: A plane flies with a ground speed of 160 miles per hour if there is no wind. It travels 350 miles with a head wind and in the same time it takes to go 450 miles with a tail wind. Find the speed of wind.

I have no idea how to start this problem, so any help would do. I would like to know the process of solving not just the answer.

Jen123 said:
I have no idea how to start this problem....
I'm sorry to hear that you're being assigned this sort of word problem before enough of the prerequisite material has been covered. :shock:

We'll be glad to try to find some web lessons so you can study enough to get started, but we'll need to know how far back to go. You're okay with the concept of variables, right? Are you able to translate English phrases and clauses into algebraic expressions and equations? Do you know how to solve linear equations? Are you familiar with the basic set-up for "distance" word problems?

Please be specific. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: Speed of Wind, giving flying time both ways, ground spee

Jen123 said:
Question: A plane flies with a ground speed of 160 miles per hour if there is no wind. It travels 350 miles with a head wind and in the same time it takes to go 450 miles with a tail wind. Find the speed of wind.

I have no idea how to start this problem, so any help would do. I would like to know the process of solving not just the answer.
To start:

Assume speed of wind = W

Headwind speed = 160-W

tailwind speed = 160+W

Now use

distance = time * speed

Please show your work - indicating exactly where you are stuck.

For the head wind i used the above equation to get W=-190. Then for tail wind I used the above equation in got w=290.

So how would i find the time. And would i add the wind speed together to get the speed. Also why would I need to know the distance.

Re: Speed of Wind, giving flying time both ways, ground spee

Jen123 said:

let w = wind speed
t = same flight time

(160 + w)t = 350

(160 - w)t = 450

solve the system for w and t.

Jen123 said:
For the head wind i used the above equation to get W=-190. Then for tail wind I used the above equation in got w=290.
The wind should be the same speed, either way. That is, the sign could be different, depending upon whether the wind is going with you or against you, but the numerical value should not change. :shock:

Please reply showing how you got your answers. Thank you! :D

Eliz.