[SPLIT] find cost, given selling price, profit margin

gai

please forgive me because I don't really know what I am doing . but I really need some one to show me how to do this problem. the problem is a solving problem. A car dealer sells a SUV for $39,000, which represents a 25% profit over the cost. What was the cost of the SUV to the dealer?

gai said:
I don't really know what I am doing . but I really need some one to show me how to do this problem.
From experience, any tutor knows that, if the student "really doesn't know what" is going on, one example ain't gonna get the job done: That student needs lessons! :wink:

While we cannot here provide the requested lessons (explanations and complete worked examples), there are loads of great lessons available online:

. . . . .Google results for "percent word problems"

Please study at least two lessons from the list. Once you have learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you will then be able to reply with a clear listing of your work and reasoning so far.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

thank you for your help I didn't mean I didn't know what I was doing as far as the math goes It was writing on this form. But once again thank you

gai said:
A car dealer sells a SUV for $39,000, which represents a 25% profit over the cost. What was the cost of the SUV to the dealer?
Easiest/safest way is to look at it this way: cost + .25(cost) = selling price of $39.000