Square prism

Stefany

How do I find the surface area of a square prism if I don’t know it’s height?
The only thing I know is a and v...

You have told me what the values are. What do they represent? For example, is v volume?

[MATH]v = a^2h[/MATH], correct, where h is height?

So, given v and a, can you find h?

What is the formula for the surface area?

[MATH]v = a^2h[/MATH], correct, where h is height?

So, given v and a, can you find h?

What is the formula for the surface area?
Yes, I’ll be able to find h with that formula but I also found another one which is V=B.h

The formula I have for s is S=P.h
I’ll be able to find P then once I have the height I’ll just multiply them.

Thanks for the formula :)

s and S are different variables, so please use just one of them if they are equal. Now please tell us what P and s represents!

s and S are different variables, so please use just one of them if they are equal. Now please tell us what P and s represents!
S is the surface area and P is the perimeter of the square.

This is a rectangular prism, not a square prism.
S is the surface area and P is the perimeter of the square.
The perimeter of the base (it's not a square anyway, it's a rectangle).
a is the side of the square; V is the volume; B is the base area.
The side of the base, you mean? This is becoming confusing for no reason. Please use the correct terms, and we'll all be much less bewildered.

The side of the base, you mean? This is becoming confusing for no reason. Please use the correct terms, and we'll all be much less bewildered.
What am I missing? The OP said it's a square prism!

Yes, I’ll be able to find h with that formula but I also found another one which is V=B.h

The formula I have for s is S=P.h
I’ll be able to find P then once I have the height I’ll just multiply them.

Thanks for the formula :)
V=Bh applies to any prism at all, including your square prism; B = a^2.

But S=Ph gives only the lateral surface area (for any prism). You need to add on the area of the bases. What is P for a square with side a?

But S=Ph gives only the lateral surface area (for any prism). You need to add on the area of the bases. What is P for a square with side a?

If we call it a rectangular prism (squares are rectangles) we'll be able to assign our variables more clearly. L, W, etc.

Technically the height is (don't click on this, OP, until you've solved it) -> 7, so doesn't that make it a rectangular prism as well?

But whatever. You know way more than me. :)

Sorry for making it confusing...
I said it was a square prism because all of the sides are equal.

Anyways, I figured it out and solved it.

Since a is 8 then P is 32.
Thanks for your help, but like I mentioned earlier I was able to solve it :)

If we call it a rectangular prism (squares are rectangles) we'll be able to assign our variables more clearly. L, W, etc.

Technically the height is (don't click on this, OP, until you've solved it) -> 7, so doesn't that make it a rectangular prism as well?
Yes, if it's a square, it's also a rectangle, and formulas for rectangles apply. But you said it wasn't a square! And the OP (previously) gave the formula for volume of a square prism, which does apply (and which uses the variable a).

You said, "This is a rectangular prism, not a square prism."

I suspect, now, that what you intended to say was, "This is the formula for a rectangular prism, not specifically for a square prism." But that isn't what you said. I can only respond to what you say, not to what you might have been thinking ...