square root and inequality: prove that sqrt(6)+sqrt(12)+sqrt(21) < 11

SimonAlpar

Hello!
I need to proof (without computing the square roots!) that "sqrt(6)+sqrt(12)+sqrt(21) < 11". How to do it step by step?

Hello!
I need to proof (without computing the square roots!) that "sqrt(6)+sqrt(12)+sqrt(21) < 11". How to do it step by step?
What have you tried? What subject is this homework related to?

Hello!
Can you find an integer that is greater than [imath]\sqrt{6}[/imath]? [Hint: Find a square that is greater than 6.]

True; but that isn't required here. (And I was primarily giving an example of what can be done, which could be generalized if needed.)
Unless I am missing something limiting those roots with integers is not enough for the proof. But I agree about the direction.

Hello!

Estimation would still be involved if you were to go with this type of route/method (here is an idea):
\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \sqrt{6} \ < \ \ \sqrt{6.25} \ = \ ?\)
\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \sqrt{12} \ < \sqrt{12.25} \ = \ ?\)
\(\displaystyle + \ \sqrt{21} \ < \ \ \sqrt{21.16} \ = \ ?\)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Or, if you were to do it this way without estimating at all, but with multiple squaring and much
recombining needed (just two beginning steps are shown):
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{6} + \sqrt{12} \ \ \ vs. \ \ \ 11 - \sqrt{21}\)

\(\displaystyle (\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{12})^2 \ \ \ vs. \ \ \ (11 - \sqrt{21})^2\)

Continue on with about 10 steps, plus or minus a few steps.

Estimation would still be involved if you were to go with this type of route/method (here is an idea):
\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \sqrt{6} \ < \ \ \sqrt{6.25} \ = \ ?\)
\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \sqrt{12} \ < \sqrt{12.25} \ = \ ?\)
\(\displaystyle + \ \sqrt{21} \ < \ \ \sqrt{21.16} \ = \ ?\)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Or, if you were to do it this way without estimating at all, but with multiple squaring and much
recombining needed (just two beginning steps are shown):
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{6} + \sqrt{12} \ \ \ vs. \ \ \ 11 - \sqrt{21}\)

\(\displaystyle (\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{12})^2 \ \ \ vs. \ \ \ (11 - \sqrt{21})^2\)

Continue on with about 10 steps, plus or minus a few steps.
In your first spoiler 5 is good enough for the upper bound of [imath]\sqrt{21}[/imath].

Here's another approach,[math]\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{12}+\sqrt{21} \\ = \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{4}+\sqrt{7}) \\ \lt \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{2} +\sqrt{4} +\sqrt{8})[/math]Now if you square, all that you need to say is that [imath]\sqrt{2} \lt1.5[/imath]. That gets you 120.