Statistics Heeeelp T-Test / Chi Square on my data please :-)

will_i_ams

Hello, I am doing some work and need some help on statistics please (T testing / Chi Square). Maths is way not my strong point!

So I have collected some data and I want to test the significance if Apple Juice is better than Orange juice.
So my main aim is to find out what’s the best between Orange juice and Apple juice

My questions is as follows:
I have collected data at 4 different shops, 2 of the shops sell orange juice, 2 of the shops sell apple juice:

Shop A – Orange juice
Shop B - Orange juice
Shop C – Apple juice
Shop D – Apple juice

A Customer survey was also carried out to see proportion of customers who bought juice:

Shop A – 71%
Shop B - 69%
Shop C – 52%
Shop D – 66%

For these 4 shops I have also collected data on the proportion of customers coming to the shops when it was closed:

Shop A – 16%
Shop B - 13%
Shop C – 11%
Shop D – 12%

A traffic survey was carried out on the roads where the shops were located:

Shop A – Average speed of vehicles was 31mph, 602 cars per hour
Shop B - Average speed of vehicles was 30mph, 551 cars per hour
Shop C – Average speed of vehicles was 32mph, 577 cars per hour
Shop D – Average speed of vehicles was 28mph, 300 cars per hour

I need to analyse the data collected to see if there is any statistical significance. Could this be carried out using t- testing or Chi Squared or any other method?

And if so would anyone be kind enough to show me step by step how I would do it using the data above. The STATS video tutorials just really aint sinking in,

Thanks

Note to readers: This exercise has been posted in at least one other location.

So I have collected some data and I want to test the significance if apple juice is better than orange juice.
How is "better" defined?

So my main aim is to find out what’s the best between orange juice and apple juice. I have collected data at four different shops; two of the shops sell orange juice, and two of the shops sell apple juice:

. . .Shop A: sells orange juice
. . .Shop B: sells orange juice
. . .Shop C: sells apple juice
. . .Shop D: sells apple juice
It seems quite unlikely that grocery stores wouldn't carry both....

A Customer survey was also carried out to see proportion of customers who bought [that store's choice of] juice:

. . .Shop A: 71% purchased orange juice
. . .Shop B: 69% purchased orange juice
. . .Shop C: 52% purchased apple juice
. . .Shop D: 66% purchased apple juice
Were they asked if they'd ever purchased that store's type of juice, or if they'd purchased it on that trip to the store?

For these four shops, I have also collected data on the proportion of customers coming to the shops when it was closed:

. . .Shop A: 16% of customers came after hours
. . .Shop B: 13% of customers came after hours
. . .Shop C: 11% of customers came after hours
. . .Shop D: 12% of customers came after hours
Were they asked if they'd ever shown up to find the store closed, or was the data collected by standing in the parking lot all night?

A traffic survey was carried out on the roads where the shops were located:

. . .Shop A: Average speed of vehicles was 31mph, with 602 cars per hour
. . .Shop B: Average speed of vehicles was 30mph, with 551 cars per hour
. . .Shop C: Average speed of vehicles was 32mph, with 577 cars per hour
. . .Shop D: Average speed of vehicles was 28mph, with 300 cars per hour
You say that you did this data-collection. What sort of radar gun or other measuring tool did you use, in order to obtain the speeds of the vehicles? How were you able to count the cars, especially with another car coming through every six seconds at Shop A?

I need to analyze the data collected to see if there is any statistical significance.
"Any statistical significance" of what? Correlation of something or other? Are you trying to "prove" statistically that the speed limit on the road in front of the store somehow influences what the store will carry in regular stock? Or if one's preferred fruit juice influences their choice of roads on which to drive? Or if people who can't keep track of store hours are likely to speed? Or what?

Could this be carried out using t- testing or Chi Squared or any other method? And if so would anyone be kind enough to show me step by step how I would do it using the data above. The STATS video tutorials just really aint sinking in
What has your stats class recently covered? That might help you determine which tool is expected to be used.

(Note: It is not possible to teach a statistics course in a simple forum posting. You may want to consider hiring a qualified local tutor, if online resources are not providing sufficiently helpful in supplementing your course materials.) ;)

Last edited: