Statistics Help

NPWagner

I have a problem, i cannot figure out 2 parts of this one problem.

Suppose X is a random variable best described by a uniform probability distribution with c= 2 and d=4.

Find P(x>2.78)

Find P(2.4<x<3.7)

for the 2nd question, its supposed to be less than or equal to and greater than or equal to. Thanks for the help!!

Too bad you didn't tell us what 'c' and 'd' are. There is no convention for these designations.

I will assume c = 2 defines the minimum value and d = 4 defines the maximum value. The height of the uniform distribution is 1/(4-2) = 1/2.

You questions can be answered by thinking about rectangles.

Pr(X > 2.78) = ½(4-2.78)

Pr(2.4<= X <= 3.7) = ½(3.7-2.4)

Note: Pr(X = 2.78) = 0

it didnt tell me what c and d were in the problem. i posted the exact wording of the problem in the book

There is no convention for these designations. Some authors use 'a' and 'b'. I'll pull a book off my shelf and see what it says...It uses Theta<sub>1</sub> and Theta<sub>2</sub>.

Somewhere in your book, there is a definition of the "Uniform Distribution". Somewhere in that definition, the parameters 'c' and 'd' are defined. If these two things are not the case, the author should be embarrassed.

Sadly, again, you did not tell me if I guessed correctly on the usage of 'c' and 'd'.

according the answers in the back of the book, you got them correct. it doesnt have any explanation really what c and d are supposed to be, so i guess i missed something in the explanations in the chapter. thank you again for the help!