Stats

Grampa

My question is this. If there are a thousand people and .001 percent get a dollar, how many people get that dollar, then, if 1000 people in a different group are 25 times more likely to get a dollar, how many will get that dollar?

If you get a shot you have only a .001 of getting sick, without the shot you are 25 times more likely to get sick, what is the percentage now?

My question is this. If there are a thousand people and .001 percent get a dollar, how many people get that dollar, then, if 1000 people in a different group are 25 times more likely to get a dollar, how many will get that dollar?
Are you aware that 0.001% of 1000 is less than 1? That's why one would suspect you didn't write what you mean.

But also, are these percentages meant to be actual percentages (as implied by the word "get"), or probabilities (as implied by your word "likely")? Those are different things. If 50% of 1000 people get a dollar, then exactly 500 of them will. But if 50% is only a probability for each person to get a dollar, then the actual number could vary considerably, and we couldn't say exactly how many it will be.

A complete explanation of the context of your question will probably help.

Actually in an odd way your answer makes me understand my question better. I understood the "less than 1" part and I should have used a much larger number. you have directed me in the right direction and I appreciate you answer.

If you get a shot you have only a .001 of getting sick, ...
Still doesn't make sense to me. Is it a .001 chance or .001% ? As Dr P said 0.001% of 1000 is less than 1.
I'm assuming it means 0.001 chance (or probability) which is equivalent to 0.1%.

I was looking a placebo vs live culture percents and likelihood of infection and illness. So "probability" would make sense. The question made sense to me when I wrote it. I didn't think through the question fully but I have made sense of it.

I was looking a placebo vs live culture percents and likelihood of infection and illness. So "probability" would make sense. The question made sense to me when I wrote it. I didn't think through the question fully but I have made sense of it.
You may want to show us your actual question, rather than changing it to one that makes little sense. We might actually be able to help. (And it sounds like the real question is far more interesting.)