Straighforward percentage calculation

Maths in space

There were a total of 79 applications made in one annual period and 98.7% of those 79 applications were approved. Therefore, 1.3% of those 79 application were not approved, how many applications represent 1.3%?

100% = 79 applications is as far as I have managed to get, which I know is going to be quite funny for some of you. It's funny to me to an extent;-)

Very funny indeed. How do you get 1.027 applications? Someone filled in only 0.027 of his application?

Nice one Harry, thanks for that, and I prefer your way as it seems neater, however implying that I had a way is being quite generous, so thanks for your good cheer in addition.

Michael, there's no need to try and confuse me any further, now I'll be thinking how someone only filled in .027 of an application;-)

Very funny indeed. How do you get 1.027 applications? Someone filled in only 0.027 of his application?
I do not buy your logic that someone filled in 0.027. That is very wrong! Why not someone fills in 0.126 of the form, someone else fills in 0.63467 and a third person fills in the rest so that there were 1.027 complete forms. Sure it is strange that a total of 1.027 forms were filled out but it did not have to be the way you described.

Suppose in total there were three completed forms filled out. Did they have to come from three people? Why couldn't one person fill out two forms (they forgot that they already submitted a form already) and a 2nd person will fill out one.

Have you ever started to fill out a form online and decide to stop in the middle. Yes? So you filled out maybe 0.547 of the form. It can and does happen.

someone else fills in 0.63467

Ironically a man has died after answering 63,467 of the 100,000 questions on a life insurance application form.
He was fit and healthy before he started the application ?

Very funny indeed. How do you get 1.027 applications? S
I do not buy your logic that someone filled in 0.027. That is very wrong! Why not someone fills in 0.126 of the form, someone else fills in 0.63467 and a third person fills in the rest so that there were 1.027 complete forms. Sure it is strange that a total of 1.027 forms were filled out but it did not have to be the way you described.

Suppose in total there were three completed forms filled out. Did they have to come from three people? Why couldn't one person fill out two forms (they forgot that they already submitted a form already) and a 2nd person will fill out one.

Have you ever started to fill out a form online and decide to stop in the middle. Yes? So you filled out maybe 0.547 of the form. It can and does happen.
ya it doesn't make sence