Stratified Sampling Question

BillJames

Hey Everyone,

Suppose you want to measure the academic success between students who eat breakfast and those who do not. If the population is the entire school and stratified sampling is how you get your sample, what would the different stra

Do you know what stratified sampling is?
If so the answer to this is pretty obvious.
Think about it for a moment.

It’s separating the population in sub groups then sampling a small amount of each. I wasn’t sure if the groups would be the different classes or grades.

you don't think it would be advantageous to separate the population into those that eat breakfast in the morning and those that don't?

then you could sample academic performance for both sub-groups and compare the two.

It's possible that the expected answer is something like sampling some percentage of each class, but I'm not sure.

As I see it, you need to take some sort of sample just to find out who eats breakfast, so I'm not sure you can just put those who do and those who don't into different groups before choosing whose grades to look at.

And as I understand it, stratified sampling is used just to make sure everyone is counted equally, not to compare two strata.

But I'm not a statistician, so I'm not sure.