Stuck on algebra's distributive properties

Rome86

hello! After getting my bachelors degree, i now want to learn and get better at math and statistics. So i'm now trying tot learn math from a book, on my own. Things were going reasonably well until now.

Currently i'm stuck on the following problem: 2a(b + 4) + 7(b + 4). I know the answer is (2a + 7)(b + 4) because its in the back of the book :). But i can't seem to figure out how to get there, which steps are taken and maybe more importantly why. If someone would be willing to explain the proces, that would be a big help.

thanks for your help!

You are adding (b+4)'s. You initially have 2a of them and you are adding 7 more so you have (2a+7) (b+4)'s better known as (2a+7)(b+4).

It is just like 3x+5x = (3+5)x or 8x

What is b + 4? It is a number. It is true that we can't name the number exactly because we don't know what number b is exactly, but we know when we add 4 to a number we get a number. Call it u.

[MATH]b + 4 = u \implies 2a(b + 4) + 7(b + 4) = 2a * u + 7 * u. [/MATH]
The distributive law says

[MATH]p * q + r * q \equiv q * (p + r)[/MATH]
for any numbers, p, q, and r.

Therefore

[MATH]2a * u + 7 * u = u * (2a + 7) = u(2a + 7) = (2a + 7)u = (2a + 7)(b + 4).[/MATH]

Hello everybody, first of all thank you for your quick replies. already been really helpfull.

i was using JeffM's method, but while using this for the problem 6a(2b + 1) + 12(2b + 1) i got the answer (6a + 12)(2b + 1), Which is wrong. is should be 6(a + 2)(2b + 1).

am i correct is assuming that i need to put everything in its lowest terms?<--(not sure if i translated that correctly)

Stuck on algebra's distributive properties [and] the following problem:
2a(b + 4) + 7(b + 4) …
Hello Rome86. You were asked to factor the given expression, right? (In the future, please include exercise instructions.)

Factoring and distributing are different -- but related -- processes. In fact, each "undoes" the effect of the other. Here's a simple example.

A(B + C)

That expression is factored because it shows two factors being multiplied. One factor is the symbolic number A, and the other factor is the symbolic number B+C. The distributive property tells us how to multiply them (that is, it tells us how to express the product of those two symbolic numbers): Each quantity inside the grouping symbols gets multiplied by the quantity outside.

A·B + A·C

That's the product of A times B+C. We say that the multiplication by A has been distributed across the sum of B+C.

If we need to "undo" a distribution, then we factor. By inspection, we see that A is a common factor.

A·B + A·C

To factor the expression effectively means to "pull out" the common factor and write it in front of what's left. We enclose what's left within grouping symbols, to show multiplication by A in factored form.

A(B+C)

Hopefully, that basic example helps you see why distributing and factoring are inverse processes (each undoes the other).

In your exercise, you've been given an expression that contains a common factor.

2a(b + 4) + 7(b + 4)

The common factor is the symbolic number b+4. We pull it out of the expression and write it in front of what's left. What's left is the symbolic number 2a+7.

(b + 4)(2a + 7)

The book's answer shows the two factors written in reversed order. That's okay because the Commutative Property tells us that we may add or multiply quantities in whatever order we like (i.e., 2+3 is the same number as 3+2, and 2×3 is the same number as 3×2).

So, the answer may be written either way; both results express the same value.

(2a + 7)(b + 4)
(b + 4)(2a + 7)

?

Hello everybody, first of all thank you for your quick replies. already been really helpfull.

i was using JeffM's method, but while using this for the problem 6a(2b + 1) + 12(2b + 1) i got the answer (6a + 12)(2b + 1), Which is wrong. is should be 6(a + 2)(2b + 1).

am i correct is assuming that i need to put everything in its lowest terms?<--(not sure if i translated that correctly)
What you got is not wrong. It is merely not fully factored.

Presumably you were told to fully factor it. Or whatever the instructions were, it might be a general rule in your class that it means that. (If not, then your answer isn't wrong.)

It's a good habit to look first for the greatest common factor of all terms, which here is 6(2b + 1). But that's easy to miss in this case, where (2b + 1) stands out so strongly. So another good habit comes into play: At the end, check each factor to see if it can be factored further. That catches anything you might have missed at the start. Here, you see that 6a + 12 has the common factor 6.

Last edited:
… got the answer (6a + 12)(2b + 1) …
Hi Rome86. When we're asked to factor an expression, we need to think in terms of 'common factors'. Therefore, we need to consider factors of given constants, like 6 and 12.

(6a + 12)(2b + 1)

(6·a + 6·2)(2b + 1)

That common factor of 6 may be factored out of the expression 6a+12, leaving a+2 left over.

6(a + 2)(2b + 1)

?

Hello everybody thank you all for the help and explanations. i get it now. unfortunatly i'm using a book that has alot of problems/ expressions, but only a small amount of explanation. for example, i just checked to see if i missed instructions. i just instructs tot distribute factors outside of brackets.

Anyway. thank for the help.

does anybody perhaps know a good book?

;)

for example …
In general, I tell students that a good textbook is one that they can understand. In other words, students seeking a good text ought to examine some texts, until they find one that works for them.

Many libraries have math texts in circulation. There are several free lessons, textbooks, and math courses available online, also. You can find them, using a search engine. Here are two results, from googling keywords free online beginning algebra textbooks.

Open Textbook Library -- links to PDF file and online viewing

Beginning and Intermediate Algebra -- PDF file (direct)

Search engines will also find free video lessons and math courses.

?