Stuck on Statistical Reasoning

KrystalTaRae

Howdy! I'm Krystal and I'm an undergrad at Capella University. This entails that I get three attempts to get a solid grade or I fail the class. My instructor has not been very forthcoming with what she expects from us. Also, has not emailed me back in over two days.

Enough whining, here's the assignment: We had to choose a topic for a survey. I chose to focus my survey on "How likely is it that female North Carolinians (age eighteen to thirty-five) with mental disorders also suffer from substance abuse issues?" For which we had to choose the variables (DIRECTIONS: What are the potential variables to be included in data gathering? You must have at least three variables that might be a part of your study. Write a minimum of one paragraph describing your potential variables.). I chose to focus on the people that don't report substance abuse or haven't gotten in trouble, calculating people who have not been treated for their mental illnesses, and the limitation of the population available for the survey.

I received a non-performance. After having my pride insulted and meeting with a tutor, I chose to write about gender of the person taking the survey, whether they suffered from a mental disorder, and substance abuse disorder. I once again got a non-performance. Please help me figure out what I'm obviously not seeing! This is way over my head and I can't get in to see another tutor until late Monday night!

Howdy! I'm Krystal and I'm an undergrad at Capella University. This entails that I get three attempts to get a solid grade or I fail the class. My instructor has not been very forthcoming with what she expects from us. Also, has not emailed me back in over two days.

Enough whining, here's the assignment: We had to choose a topic for a survey. I chose to focus my survey on "How likely is it that female North Carolinians (age eighteen to thirty-five) with mental disorders also suffer from substance abuse issues?" For which we had to choose the variables (DIRECTIONS: What are the potential variables to be included in data gathering? You must have at least three variables that might be a part of your study. Write a minimum of one paragraph describing your potential variables.). I chose to focus on the people that don't report substance abuse or haven't gotten in trouble, calculating people who have not been treated for their mental illnesses, and the limitation of the population available for the survey.

I received a non-performance. After having my pride insulted and meeting with a tutor, I chose to write about gender of the person taking the survey, whether they suffered from a mental disorder, and substance abuse disorder. I once again got a non-performance. Please help me figure out what I'm obviously not seeing! This is way over my head and I can't get in to see another tutor until late Monday night!
What are the potential variables to be included in data gathering? You must have at least three variables that might be a part of your study. Write a minimum of one paragraph describing your potential variables.)
Can you include your write-up here so that we can know - what have you included and what you have missed?!!

Can you include your write-up here so that we can know - what have you included and what you have missed?!!

What is the topic of your survey?

How many female North Carolinians (age eighteen to thirty-five) with mental disorders also suffer from substance abuse issues?

Why is the topic important? How might the study results be used in your personal or professional life?

Everyone suffers from some form of mental distress, especially females. The presence of mental disorders is often a precursor to substance abuse. Substance abuse is a growing dilemma within our society. The number of people that need help is astronomical. As a future substance abuse counselor, I must know the statistics on substance abuse to assist my clients better and understand their needs.

What are the potential variables to be included in data gathering?
You must have at least three variables that might be a part of your study. Write a minimum of one paragraph describing your potential variables.

There are two independent variables focused on in this study. The first independent variable would be the gender of the surveyor. We are only focusing on females in this survey. The second independent variable would be whether they have a mental disorder that causes their rationality to become impaired. The dependent variable is whether they suffer from a substance abuse disorder.

The first independent variable would be the gender of the surveyor. We are only focusing on females in this survey. The second independent variable would be whether they have a mental disorder that causes their rationality to become impaired.
What about their age? What would be the hypothesis of your test?

you say:

I must know the statistics on substance abuse to assist my clients better and understand their needs
How would the statistic help you to assist your clients better? What "knowledge" do you want to extract from this study - so that your understanding would be improved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I was hoping to revise and add age. Surely she didn't fail me over missing one variable when she only requested 3 right? She didn't even give me basic, she gave me straight non-proficients.

And I don't understand how to break it down anymore than that.

Last edited:
Yes I was hoping to revise and add age. Surely she didn't fail me over missing one variable when she only requested 3 right? She didn't even give me basic, she gave me straight non-proficients.

And I don't understand how to break it down anymore than that.
If I were the teacher - the most important thing I would have looked for in a statistics proposal at college level would be:

What would be the hypothesis of your test?

And how would you test to reject or accept that hypothesis.

Though I appreciate the advice on the hypothesis stuff-which I will use-we're talking about variables and why that specifically got me a poor grade.

Though I appreciate the advice on the hypothesis stuff-which I will use-we're talking about variables and why that specifically got me a poor grade.
Okay.............can you think of other important variables for your project?

I can think of two other variables..................... let us hear your ideas.....................

Other variables would include Whether or not trauma occured, length of use, uppers or downers?

Other variables would include Whether or not trauma occured, length of use, uppers or downers?
Good

Other could be:

Family status -broken?

Family's economic status

Neighborhood economic status ?

So rewrite your report

Before you run off, would that make my population "women, age 18-35" or "women, age 18-35 who suffer from mental health problems?"