Symbols To Avoid In Algebra

mathdad

Why do we avoid x when multiplying in algebra? For example, 5 x 6 = 30 is not used in algebra. Why?

The division symbol ÷ is not used in algebra.
For example, 6 ÷ 2 = 3 is not used in algebra. Why?

Why do we avoid x when multiplying in algebra? For example, 5 x 6 = 30 is not used in algebra. Why?

The division symbol ÷ is not used in algebra.
For example, 6 ÷ 2 = 3 is not used in algebra. Why?
Why do you suppose that \(\displaystyle 2\times 3=6\) is not used either?

I just told someone not to use x in a question; see if you can find that answer, and see why. (I think it's pretty obvious.)

As for ÷, it is sometimes used; probably the main reason it usually is not is to avoid confusion due to the order of operations (or mere unreadability when things get complicated).

In addition to avoiding using [MATH]\times[/MATH] to indicate multiplication, I tend to avoid using: (1) e as a variable except for elasticity, energy, or Euler's number, (2) i except for an index or a root of minus 1, and (3) lower case letters L and O to prevent confusion.

I just told someone not to use x in a question; see if you can find that answer, and see why. (I think it's pretty obvious.)

As for ÷, it is sometimes used; probably the main reason it usually is not is to avoid confusion due to the order of operations (or mere unreadability when things get complicated).

I guess to use x as a symbol of multiplication will confuse the operation when the variable X is used. So, 2(3) = 6 is better than 2 x 3 = 6. Some students may confuse 2 x 3 = 6 with 2x = 6.

In addition to avoiding using [MATH]\times[/MATH] to indicate multiplication, I tend to avoid using: (1) e as a variable except for elasticity, energy, or Euler's number, (2) i except for an index or a root of minus 1, and (3) lower case letters L and O to prevent confusion.

The point is to avoid confusion in algebra operations.