System of Equations with graphing, word problem

oats

I'm trying to help my daughter with her homework, i used to know this stuff a long time ago, my memory is not so great now.
Here is the problem.

"Chloe is a kickboxing instructor who will be teaching classes at a local gym. To get certified as an instructor, she spent a total of $90. Chloe will be earning a base salary of $70 per month from the gym, plus an additional $5 for every class she teaches. If Chloe teaches a certain number of classes during her first month as an instructor, she will earn back the amount she spent on certification. How much will Chloe's expenses and earnings be?

Write a system of equations, graph them, and type the solution."

We think we've fgured out the X as either 5x = 90 or 5x + 70 = 90. Which will either be 18 or 4.
But how do we figure out the Y so we can plot it on the graph? that' what we're having problems with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Father of a 9th grader.
This is not common core as her school doesn't teach it, not sure if that changes the answer in any way shape or form.

I'm trying to help my daughter with her homework, i used to know this stuff a long time ago, my memory is not so great now.
Here is the problem.

"Chloe is a kickboxing instructor who will be teaching classes at a local gym. To get certified as an instructor, she spent a total of $90. Chloe will be earning a base salary of $70 per month from the gym, plus an additional $5 for every class she teaches. If Chloe teaches a certain number of classes during her first month as an instructor, she will earn back the amount she spent on certification. How much will Chloe's expenses and earnings be?

Write a system of equations, graph them, and type the solution."

We think we've fgured out the X as either 5x = 90 or 5x + 70 = 90. Which will either be 18 or 4.
But how do we figure out the Y so we can plot it on the graph? that' what we're having problems with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Father of a 9th grader.
This is not common core as her school doesn't teach it, not sure if that changes the answer in any way shape or form.
You write:

5x = 90 or 5x + 70 = 90

What is 'x'?

Please define your variables.

1st of all you can use any variables you like to use, personally I like to use the variable Harvey, but you must define YOUR variables. Think about this, you have a job and your boss ask you to solve this problem and you respond back a few minutes later saying x=17 (or some number). Do you think that is a good answer. I would have 2nd thought on why I hired that person. So let's start off teaching you daughter to define her variables.

Let x = the number of classes Chloe teaches
Let e = how much Chloe earns the 1st month including the $90 fee.

I hope that it is clear that Chloe earns e = $70 + 5x - 90 = 5x - 20. If it is not clear to your daughter then put in different values for x.
Now the problem clearly says to write a system of equations which I personally think is ridiculous. What do you think that 2nd equation should be? Hint: What information have I not used yet??

1st of all you can use any variables you like to use, personally I like to use the variable Harvey, but you must define YOUR variables. Think about this, you have a job and your boss ask you to solve this problem and you respond back a few minutes later saying x=17 (or some number). Do you think that is a good answer. I would have 2nd thought on why I hired that person. So let's start off teaching you daughter to define her variables.

Let x = the number of classes Chloe teaches
Let e = how much Chloe earns the 1st month including the $90 fee.

I hope that it is clear that Chloe earns e = $70 + 5x - 90 = 5x - 20. If it is not clear to your daughter then put in different values for x.
Now the problem clearly says to write a system of equations which I personally think is ridiculous. What do you think that 2nd equation should be? Hint: What information have I not used yet??

Defining the variables appears to be part of my problem with helping her, when I read the problem at the end it asks how much is chloe's earning and expenses? I thought these were the two variables? Is that wrong? So is it asking to show separate earnings and expenses? I'm not sure where the 5x-20 came from? I put 5x = 90 , x being how many classes are needed to come up with the 90, if the wage was separate and 5x + 70 = 90 if the wage was included, but I didnt know if it was supposed to be included or not maybe im overthinking it? and i wasnt sure about the 2nd equation at all, you include the wage the price per class and how many classes so im not sure what you didnt include?

The 5x - 20 came from 70 + 5x - 90. Do you know where 70 + 5x - 90 came from? 70 - 90 = -20.
I admit that I missed where it said How much will Chloe's expenses and earnings be?
Yes, you are correct that the variables should be for expenses and earnings.

So let y = earnings, x= # of classes that Chloe teaches and z = expenses

want y - z = 0
y = 70 + 5x
z=90

That is the system of equations which I came up with. Again, I do not like this problem at all. There is no reason to have a system of equations here.

I would solve it like this.
let x= # of classes which Chloe teaches.

Solve 70 + 5x = 90

x=4

expenses = $90 (given)
earnings = 90 (want)

Last edited:
I see that you want to graph these equations. Since y-z=0 implies z=y you should graph y = 70 + 5x and y=90.