T-Test help

ScalesMichael

Hello, i am currently in university. However, my understanding in maths is atrocious. i hae conducted a t test (2,1) and received the result 8,03214E-06. What does the E mean in the result and do i accept the hypothesis or not?

Any help you could give me on this would be very much appreciated

Many thanks
Michael Scales

Hello, i am currently in university. However, my understanding in maths is atrocious. i hae conducted a t test (2,1) and received the result 8,03214E-06. What does the E mean in the result and do i accept the hypothesis or not?

Any help you could give me on this would be very much appreciated

Many thanks
Michael Scales
The "E" is a shortcut for scientific notation. Consider 3E2 to be the same as [MATH]3x10^2[/MATH] which is 300.

… result 8,03214E-06. What does the E mean …?
Hello. Knowing that the number following E is the exponent on a power of 10 also tells us how many positions to move the decimal point -- when changing from scientific notation to regular decimal notation.

When the exponent is negative, we shift the decimal point to the left. When it's positive, we shift to the right.

(Note: In the US, we use a period for the decimal point, not a comma, so that's how I'll type it.)

8.03214E-06 shows that the decimal point needs to be shifted 6 positions to the left. Therefore, writing as a decimal number yields:

Cheers ?