Taking Calculus III and IV simultaneously?

SamaaAlsam

Hi,
My college is offering current Calculus II students to take both Calculus III and IV at the same time in the summer. Do you think it would be managable? Right now I'm doing pretty well in Calc II and I would love to get math classes out of the way so that I can focus on other subjects in my major.
Thanks!

Hi,
My college is offering current Calculus II students to take both Calculus III and IV at the same time in the summer. Do you think it would be managable? Right now I'm doing pretty well in Calc II and I would love to get math classes out of the way so that I can focus on other subjects in my major.
Thanks!
That ("managable") totally depends on the syllabus. In many school

Calc III comprises of volume integration, contour integration, Green's theorem, etc. and​

Calc IV comprises of DE, numerical methods, etc.​

These type of courses can be taught in parallel. Lot of work but manageable.......

Hi,
Thanks!
I wouldn't advise this for a Summer class. Unless your college uses the entire Summer you are condensing a whole semester into just a few weeks. One class would be bad enough.

-Dan

I wouldn't advise this for a Summer class. Unless your college uses the entire Summer you are condensing a whole semester into just a few weeks. One class would be bad enough.

-Dan
I fully agree (the summer part had escaped me). If you are taking Calc IV - your major must be Math intensive, like Engineering or Physics. Like Dan said it is bad enough taking any Math course in summer (unless it is a review) - is bad enough. If you take two that could be really murderous.

Thanks for correcting my thoughts.

Don't Quit your day job ;)

Summer accelerated courses are tough (and probably 4 credits each...) - even if your ability is high; they're just too fast. One is usually manageable but taking two of them.... I'd say only for those select very motivated students. You're effectively learning two weeks worth of material in every day (2-3 days per week for 5-6 weeks). I advise these situations as a part-time gig, just giving my input.

I don't have a job yet, currently looking for one, but I might have to change my mind on that if I do decide on taking both Calculus III and IV together because I definitely need a lot of time to study and do the homework! On top of that, I'll be taking the second level of General Chemistry along with these classes. Summer quarter at my college is 8 weeks, so yes, it's shorter than the average 10 weeks we have for other quarters. All coursework and testing will be online. Thanks for your input!

I fully agree (the summer part had escaped me). If you are taking Calc IV - your major must be Math intensive, like Engineering or Physics. Like Dan said it is bad enough taking any Math course in summer (unless it is a review) - is bad enough. If you take two that could be really murderous.

Thanks for correcting my thoughts.
Yes, I'm going for the civil engineering route. :)

-Dan
Thanks for your input! I still have more time to think about it before the quarter starts- which will be on July 1st. :)

@SamaaAlsam, are you a math major? If yes, then please do not take these two courses over the summer. I actually feel you should not even take one of them. As a math or physics major you need time to absorb the material and also not have your professor not teach 20% of the material do to time constraint. Take English or history instead!

@SamaaAlsam, are you a math major? If yes, then please do not take these two courses over the summer. I actually feel you should not even take one of them. As a math or physics major you need time to absorb the material and also not have your professor not teach 20% of the material do to time constraint. Take English or history instead!
I'm a civil engineering major as of right now, and I'm trying to finish up the prerequisites so I can transfer to a 4-year university. The prereqs include all the calculus classes and 2 quarters of physics (so a semester in uni) and 2 quarters of chem. I'll be doing all the Statics and Dynamics stuff the next school year, and then I will transfer after that.

Consider being a math major. It is loads of fun!

Do not take calculus 3 and 4 at the same time over the summer, just don't do it to yourself. If you want a good grade you will literally have to do 10 hours of work per day. That will destroy you. It is just not worth it. Take two drawing art classes instead!