Tangent line questions!

farealol

1948F722-B1FE-4416-93ED-309C829517E4.jpeg

This is what I did for question 1, I’m not sure if n is solvable..
Much appreciated!!
image.jpg

(a) I would write:

[MATH]f(x)=x^{-\frac{1}{n}}[/MATH]
Thus:

[MATH]f'(x)=-\frac{1}{n}x^{-\frac{1}{n}-1}=-\frac{1}{n}x^{-\frac{n+1}{n}}[/MATH]
And so the tangent line will be:

[MATH]y=f'(1)(x-1)+1=-\frac{1}{n}(x-1)+1=-\frac{1}{n}x+\frac{n+1}{n}[/MATH]
Here's a live graph:

(a) I would write:

[MATH]f(x)=x^{-\frac{1}{n}}[/MATH]
Thus:

[MATH]f'(x)=-\frac{1}{n}x^{-\frac{1}{n}-1}=-\frac{1}{n}x^{-\frac{n+1}{n}}[/MATH]
And so the tangent line will be:

[MATH]y=f'(1)(x-1)+1=-\frac{1}{n}(x-1)+1=-\frac{1}{n}x+\frac{n+1}{n}[/MATH]
Here's a live graph:

Ok I got it. Thank you so much.

You should know that 1 to any power is 1.

Also, do not use the quotient rule whenever the numerator, denominator or both the numerator & denominator are a constant.

77442A2A-A63C-4A8B-818B-527EAB7A0D9D.jpeg
This is what I did for question b, but I feel like it’s wrong because the answer is so strange. Could someone please help me with this as well? Thank you!!

When you solve for x there should be no x on the other side.

Else it would be easy to solve for x in any expression. For example: 2x-7 = 4x^2. Then 4x^2-2x + 7 =0. Now add x to goth sides. x = 4x^2 -2x+7 +x. No, it does not work that way.

Another example. Solve for x in 3+x =0. so 3+x+x = x. That is x=3+x+x (I added x to 0 to get x on one side of the equal sign).

When you solve for x there should be no x on the other side.

Else it would be easy to solve for x in any expression. For example: 2x-7 = 4x^2. Then 4x^2-2x + 7 =0. Now add x to goth sides. x = 4x^2 -2x+7 +x. No, it does not work that way.

Another example. Solve for x in 3+x =0. so 3+x+x = x. That is x=3+x+x (I added x to 0 to get x on one side of the equal sign).
Thank you and yes I understand that.

I tried to put all the terms with x on one side and terms with n on the other side, but when I was trying to solve the equation, I found that there is always some term with both x and n, while other terms only have either x or n.

You should get a quadratic equation in x and then solve it using the method of your choice.