Tape Diagram for Multiplication Story Problem

tapediagram

Does anyone know how to draw a tape diagram for a multiplication story problem where the numbers to multiply are 300 and 6? (I know the answer is 1,800.) The problem is about a cafeteria who feeds 6 chicken nuggets to each of their 300 students. They want to know how many chicken nuggets the cafeteria made in all. We have to draw a tape diagram to match our standard algorithm. A tape diagram of 300 sections would be too lengthy to draw, so I am sure I'm on the wrong track. Please help!

I have no idea what a "tape diagram" is! Of course, 6(300)= 1800 which seems to be all that is necessary.

Please post original problem IN FULL.
And show your work.

I scanned the question with my child's answer into a PDF doc, but the attachment was too large. Tried scanning to Word, but it wouldn't capture the entire image, so we cannot show her work.

Question: At the school cafeteria, each student who ordered lunch gets 6 chicken nuggets. The cafeteria staff prepares enough for 300 kids. How many chicken nuggets does the cafeteria staff prepare altogether? (1,800)

My 4th grader said the teacher drew the tape diagram with 6 segments of 300, (probably because 300 segments of 6 would be too long to draw), which is what we ultimately did as well, but it just seems like the tape diagram illustrates 6 kids eating 300 nuggets each, instead of 300 kids eating 6 nuggets each. The tape diagrams are a part of the new Common Core curriculum my child's school is using.

I have no idea what a "tape diagram" is!
It looks like "tape diagrams" are similar to the "bar models" that have been in use for so long in Singapore Math as a means to allow pre-algebra students to begin getting a grasp of the thinking behind variables. My guess is that American educators are calling these things "tape" diagrams because the "bars" can be physically modelled with strips of adhesive tape. ;)