Test for convergence

G

I need to determine whether it converges absolutely, conditionally or diverges.

I'm stuck on this problem, not sure how to start it, do I split up the fraction?

Sigma as n=1 to infinity: (cos(n*pi / 2) * sin( n*pi - pi/2)) / (sqrt(n) + 1)

evaluate and list out the first few terms of the series (about 8 of them) ... see what you get.

skeeter said:
evaluate and list out the first few terms of the series (about 8 of them) ... see what you get.
Ok, I'm getting that it is decreasing and that the limit is 0. Is this right?

So I took the absolute value of it, diverges.

So it converges conditionally.

Is this right?

Hello, 27077!

Ok, I'm getting that it is decreasing and that the limit is 0. Is this right? . . . Right!

So I took the absolute value of it, it diverges . . . Correct!

So it converges conditionally . . . Yes!

skeeter's approach is direct and much easier.

I used some Trig . . . with the same results.

Since \(\displaystyle \,\sin(A\,-\,B)\:=\:\sin(A)\cos(B)\,-\,\sin(B)\cos(A)\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)then: \(\displaystyle \,\sin\left(n\pi\,-\,\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\:=\:\sin(n\pi)\cdot\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\,-\,\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\cdot\cos(n\pi) \;= \;-\cos(n\pi)\)

Hence: \(\displaystyle \L\,\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\,\frac{\cos\left(n\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\cdot\sin\left(n\pi\,-\,\frac{\pi}{2}\right)}{\sqrt{n}\,+\,1} \;=\;\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\,-\frac{\cos\left(n\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\cdot\cos(n\pi)}{\sqrt{n}\,+\,1}\)

We find that:

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)For odd \(\displaystyle n:\;\cos\left(n\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\,=\,0\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)For even \(\displaystyle n:\:\cos\left(n\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}\right) \,=\,\pm1\) and \(\displaystyle \cos(2n\pi)\,=\,1\)

Therefore, the series is: \(\displaystyle \L\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}\,-\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{4}+1} \,+\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}+1} \,-\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{8}+1} \,+\,\cdots\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\\)which is indeed conditionally convergent.