The 1% Club, 23rd April

The Highlander

This week's 1% Club Show questions

Remember: Participants are only allowed 30 seconds to come up with an answer, however, since the presenter reads out the question before the timer starts, it is reasonable to allow yourself 35 seconds after you click on the ‘Reveal’ button

Please time yourself and if you don't get an answer within 35s, please do not post any answer but please be brave enough to admit your “failure” by letting us all know.

If you do have an answer (that you have arrived at within the time limit) then feel free to post it under a “
Spoiler button”.

It is taken on trust that no one will ‘look’ at any previously posted answers prior to attempting the question(s) themselves.

I am only posting a select few of the questions from the show (those I think may pose any kind of challenge to the denizens of this Forum (or stumped me!), plus the 3 “hardest” ones) but I will no longer post any answers to the problems I have included.

I am (for some mysterious reason) currently able to access this Forum only through a VPN! This means I will spend only limited time in it (unless and until this problem is resolved) but I will try to post the answers given on the show on the Monday following its broadcast.

Enjoy.

Example Question (part of the show's introduction):-

Example-Q.png

The 40% Question:-

40-Q.png

The 30% Question:-

30-Q.png

The 25% Question:-

25-Q.png

The 20% Question:-

20-Q.png

The 15% Question:-

15-Q.png

The 10% Question:-

10-Q.png

The 5% Question:-

05-Q.png

The 1% Question:-

01-Q.png

Good Luck!

T and I

31 sec

10 sec

30% – No clue

Robinhood

13 sec
J

34 sec

15% – 37 sec, rats

33 sec

5% – No clue

1% – 38 sec, doggonit

[imath]\;[/imath]

Last edited:
8 (5 Original Happy + 3 from replacing "you" with "Happy")
October. Because of Daylight Saving in European countries, you get an extra hour.
She sells seashells on the seashore -> S & E

Last edited:
got it in the nick of time, love this question! TI
Counted on my fingers 5
October
robin hood
p
15% out of time
not
5% out of time

This week's 1% Club Show Answers

Gratitude to all those who looked at this week’s questions, especially (with kudos) to those who responded by posting full records of their attempts (including not only their answers to specific questions (right or wrong) but also a note of whether they managed to arrive at them within the time limit and a note of those questions that they could not come up with an answer for either within the time limit or not at all!); this is a very commendable approach. (IMNSHO, it’s the only ‘right’ way to respond. ?)

It is, then, difficult to resist the temptation to observe that a number of individuals post an answer to only a few questions from all those that were posted! One is forced then to wonder whether this means that such individuals were unable to answer the other questions (either within the prescribed time limit or not at all!); such posts provide us with no clarity on that issue! Perhaps they just couldn’t be bothered looking at the other questions or just didn’t think they were ‘difficult’ enough to warrant their consideration? ??

Notwithstanding that, below (with my comments), are all the answers to the questions presented on the show that I included this week (I can take no responsibility for whether anyone agrees with their ‘accuracy’ or otherwise).

I would just like to preface the answers, below, by recording my own “performance”: I am pleased to confirm that I was able to answer all of the questions on this week’s show correctly and (usually, well) within the (30s) time limit EXCEPT as indicated in the listing below. (That is the principle reason why I only included the questions I did; many of the others were just too facile to present for the consideration of the regular members of this Forum.)

Example Question (part of the show's introduction):-

This is the second week that I have been entirely unable to answer this (‘Example’) question! It seems to me that these ‘Example’ questions appear to be set at the same ‘level’ as the 1% questions! I just stared at it, completely dumbfounded, throughout the whole 30 seconds and had no clue how to solve it until the (obvious? ?) answer was revealed! (In my defence, a significant proportion of the studio audience appeared to be equally stumped too!)

Sample-Ans.png

The 40% Question:-

I got this one completely wrong! By singing “Happy Happy” (Doh!) and coming up with an answer of “8” in around 15 seconds but failing to ‘review my answer’ in the remaining time! I suspect that may have been the exact intention of this question, to cause just that kind of ‘confusion’ but that’s no excuse for my arrogance!

40-A.png

The 30% Question:-

This was another one I just stared at, dumbfounded (after discounting the obvious ‘possibilities’ like number of letters, length of day/night, etc.) and could come up with absolutely nothing until the (sneaky! ?) answer was revealed!

30-A.png
The 25% Question:-

This was a (dead) easy one that I got within a few seconds! I only included it as a little ‘treat’ for the “Dingbats/ Wordles” enthusiasts in here. ?

25-A.png

The 20% Question:-

Nope!
I ran right out of time on this one and still hadn’t arrived at the correct answer by the time it was revealed on the show! I just kept switching strategies for identifying the missing letter and then losing track of which ones I had identified as not it! I guess the ‘right’ approach was just to stick to working your way through the alphabet and finding each letter in turn present until one was clearly missing but I’m not sure I could have done that successfully within 30s either! ?

20-A.png

The 15% Question:-

I didn’t get this one either, in 30s or beyond! I only “saw” the answer (with a corresponding ‘Sigh’ ?) when it was eventually revealed on the show!

15-A.png

(The Show Presenter did stress afterwards that there is no such word as "TANDE" in the ENGLISH language.)

The 10% Question:-

I ran right out of time on this one too! Again, I was guilty of, in panic, switching strategies and got hopelessly ‘lost’ in the available time! Eventually, I just gave up and waited for the right answer to be displayed!

10-A.png

The 5% Question:-

I was quite (smugly? ?) pleased with myself to get this one in a few seconds but, I have to say, I do think it was rather an ‘easy’ one for the 5% level!
Having said that, this was a question that one of the contestants who made it through to the ‘final’ admitted he’d just completely guessed at the answer! The show’s presenter was just as astounded (as me/everyone else on the show) that he’d managed to arrive at the right answers in that fashion but that didn’t prevent him from continuing to rely on his ‘luck’ thenceforth! (See also my comments after the 1% question.)

05-A.png

The 1% Question:-

I got the correct answer to this, by counting the triangles (out loud), in around 20 seconds but I suspect it’s one that (almost) everybody in here would arrive at the right result in a similar time frame; it’s pretty much ‘right up our street’!
That said, both of the 2 final contestants got it wrong! (Both elected (somewhat foolhardily, perhaps) to ‘go for it’ rather than settle for a ‘share’ of the £10k available if they opted out); one said “8” & the other “13”.

The one who said “13” clearly made a “better” attempt at the answer but, given that he also made an extraordinally lucky, complete guess at the earlier (5%) question, I would have said he definitely should have opted out of the 1% question and that would have meant he could have gone home with the full £10k instead of nothing at all!

01-A.png

? Cheers, B. ?

Last edited:
No wonder I didn't understand the 30% question. We don't change clocks in Arizona, so their answer is not correct for us. (Maybe written by the same guy who wrote that tennis question last week, ha!)

I didn't recognize the tongue twister because they'd changed the wording from what I'd learned as a kid. (Her name is Sally, by the way.)

My strategy on the 20% question was to examine the longest and shortest words, first. After I eliminated those, I didn't need to check the rest because they were all four letters.

I had the 1% answer (5 triangles per "row" times 3 rows is 15, plus the 3 equilateral triangles makes 18), but I ran out of time double-checking my reasoning. In hindsight, I ought to have just gone with it.

(I don't get how people counted eight occurrences of 'happy'. I sang it in less time that it takes to wash my hands.)

Thanks for posting everything. :)

[imath]\;[/imath]

(I don't get how people counted eight occurrences of 'happy'. I sang it in less time that it takes to wash my hands
It depends on how you sing the song. Some (like me) replace the word "you" in the original with the name of the birthday person.

For example,
Happy birthday to Otis,
Happy birthday to Otis,
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday to Otis.

Now replace "Otis" with a person named "Happy", you'll get 8.

Happy birthday to Otis,
Happy birthday to Otis,
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday to Otis.
Well, that just sounds weird! (How many English versions do we need?)

Another flawed question. heh, heh, heh :p

[imath]\;[/imath]