The Cigarette Question

mrahroy

The sample includes 30% of women and 70% of men. It is known that among them 10% of women and 60% of men smoke. Person X is known to be a non-smoker. Find the probability that X is male.

The sample includes 30% of women and 70% of men. It is known that among them 10% of women and 60% of men smoke. Person X is known to be a non-smoker. Find the probability that X is male.
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

You need to know exactly what the event that you want the probability of before continuing.

You want the probability that .

You will get another hint from me after you answer my question above or show some attempt in solving this problem.

You need to know exactly what the event that you want the probability of before continuing.

You want the probability that .

You will get another hint from me after you answer my question above or show some attempt in solving this problem.
I have calculated non-smokers as fol:- 60% are smokers so 40% are non-smoker males. 40% of 70 men make 28. And 10% of females are smokers. so 90% of 30 females make 27. Total non-smokers becomes 28+27 = 55. Now, to find the probability of X to be a male as well as a non-smoker:-
Probability of non-smoker X = 28/70 ?
or should it be 28/100?
Or even 28/55?

I have calculated non-smokers as fol:- 60% are smokers so 40% are non-smoker males. 40% of 70 men make 28. And 10% of females are smokers. so 90% of 30 females make 27. Total non-smokers becomes 28+27 = 55. Now, to find the probability of X to be a male as well as a non-smoker:-
Probability of non-smoker X = 28/70 ?
or should it be 28/100?
Or even 28/55?

You want the probability that X is a male GIVEN that X is a non-smoker. So the numerator is the number of male non-smokers, and the denominator is the number of non-smokers.

You are given: [math]\text{Pr(Male) = .30 , Pr(Female)=.70,Pr(Smoker|Male) = .60, Pr(Smoker|Female) = .10}[/math]The goal is to find:[math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)}[/math]Using conditional probability (aka Bayesian's Probability) we have: [math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)} = \frac{\text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Male)}}{\text{Pr(Smoker)}}[/math]First, focus on the numerator. Again, using conditional probability, it can be rewritten as: [math]\text{Pr(Male}\cap \text{Smoker}) = \text{Pr(Smoker | Male)*Pr(Male)}[/math]Next, the denominator. Using the Law of Total Probability & conditional probability: [math]\text{Pr(Smoker)} = \text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Male}) + \text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Female}) = \text{Pr(Smoker|Male)*Pr(Male) + Pr(Smoker|Female)*Pr(Female)}[/math]Putting it all together:
[math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)} =\frac{\text{Pr(Smoker | Male)*Pr(Male)}}{\text{Pr(Smoker|Male)*Pr(Male) + Pr(Smoker|Female)*Pr(Female)}}[/math]Hopes this help you understand Bayesian's Probability more concretely.

Last edited:
You are given: [math]\text{Pr(Male) = .30 , Pr(Female)=.70,Pr(Smoker|Male) = .60, Pr(Smoker|Female) = .10}[/math]The goal is to find:[math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)}[/math]Using conditional probability (aka Bayesian's Probability) we have: [math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)} = \frac{\text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Male)}}{\text{Pr(Smoker)}}[/math]First, focus on the numerator. Again, using conditional probability, it can be rewritten as: [math]\text{Pr(Male}\cap \text{Smoker}) = \text{Pr(Smoker | Male)*Pr(Male)}[/math]Next, the denominator. Using the Law of Total Probability & conditional probability: [math]\text{Pr(Smoker)} = \text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Male}) + \text{Pr(Smoker} \cap \text{Female}) = \text{Pr(Smoker|Male)*Pr(Male) + Pr(Smoker|Female)*Pr(Female)}[/math]Putting it all together:
[math]\text{Pr(Male | Smoker)} =\frac{\text{Pr(Smoker | Male)*Pr(Male)}}{\text{Pr(Smoker|Male)*Pr(Male) + Pr(Smoker|Female)*Pr(Female)}}[/math]Hopes this help you understand Bayesian's Probability more concretely.
@mrahroy, You realize, I hope, that this answers the wrong question, though it shows all the details of the method for solving the right question:
Your work had the right numerator, and just need to decide on the denominator.