The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario99

In this problem we will analyze a model of a flexible beam that is being forced. A common experimental methodology in vibration analysis is the forcing of a structure at several different frequencies. The structure is mounted to a piston-style shaker, which forces the structure periodically. The input periodic forcing is typically computer-controlled. See Figure 12.6.2.

1405.png

The The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation models the dynamics of this situation.

[imath]\rho\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(EI\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\right) = f(x,t).[/imath]

The ends are free, leading to "no moment/no shear force" boundary conditions:

[imath]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\big|_{x=0} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\big|_{x=L} = 0, \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial^3 u}{\partial x^3}\big|_{x=0} = \frac{\partial^3 u}{\partial x^3}\big|_{x=L} = 0,[/imath]

The parameter definitions are as follows. The linear mass density (which is the volumetric mass density times the cross-sectional area) of the material of the beam is [imath]\rho[/imath]. Young's modulus is [imath]E[/imath], and the moment of inertial is [imath]I[/imath]. Each of these parameters is known for the beam of interest. The moment of inertial for a rectangular cross section is [imath]I = wh^3/12[/imath], where [imath]h[/imath] is the thickness (measured in the direction of motion of the beam) and [imath]w[/imath] is the width (measured in the direction orthogonal to motion).

In undertaking this problem, there are several tasks whose solution will require computational assistance. A computer algebra system such as Mathematics or Maple will be very helpful. Here are your tasks:

(a) Apply separation of variables to solve the homogenous equation

[imath]\rho\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(EI\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\right) = 0.[/imath]

The solution, as discussed in the separation of variables sections for the heat and wave equations takes the form [imath]u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n(x,t),[/imath] where [imath]u_n(x,t) = X_n(x)T_n(t).[/imath] This task has several subtasks:

(i) Find the general formula for the [imath]T(t)[/imath] function. Your answer should be of the form [imath]T(t) = P\cos(\omega t) + Q\sin(\omega t)[/imath] where [imath]P[/imath] and [imath]Q[/imath] are unknown constants and [imath]\omega[/imath] depends on [imath]\rho[/imath], [imath]E[/imath], [imath]I[/imath], [imath]L[/imath], and the spatial frequencies you will get from the [imath]X(x)[/imath] equation.

(ii) Find the general formula for the [imath]X(x)[/imath] function. Your answer should be of the form [imath]X(x) = Ae^{\beta x} + Be^{-\beta x} + C\cos \beta x + D\sin \beta x,[/imath] where [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], and [imath]D[/imath] are unknown constants and [imath]\beta[/imath] depends on [imath]\rho[/imath], [imath]E[/imath], [imath]I[/imath], [imath]L[/imath] and the spatial frequencies.

(iii) Use the boundary conditions to find four equations that include the five unknowns of part (ii) [imath](A, B, C, D,[/imath] and [imath]\beta).[/imath] Write these equations as [imath]4 \times 4[/imath] matrix (that depends on [imath]\beta[/imath]) times the vector of coefficients [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], and [imath]D.[/imath]

(iv) Since the right-hand side of your equation system is the zero vector, you have two possibilities: All the coefficients are zero, or the determinant of the matrix is zero. Plot the determinant as a function of [imath]\beta.[/imath] Plot it carefully so that you can see the oscillations. Find the smallest ten numbers [imath]\beta[/imath] that make the determinant equal to zero.

(v) What constraints must hold for [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], [imath]D?[/imath] They are unknown parameters, but some relationships must be established.

(vi) Use those values of [imath]\beta[/imath] to determine the smallest five values of [imath]\omega[/imath] from part (i).

(b) Plot the 10 mode shapes you found.

(c) Use separation of variables to solve the forced equation,

[imath]\rho\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(EI\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\right) = f(x,t).[/imath]

The forcing function is (approximately) [imath]f(x,t) = F_0 \sin(\alpha t)\delta(x - L/2)[/imath], a periodic function that is concentrated at the beam's midpoint. To use the separation of variables approach, we need to expand the forcing function in terms of the [imath]X_n(x)[/imath] functions. As described in the context of the wave equation on page 479 of the text and using the orthogonal function expansion techniques of Secion 11.1, the forcing function can be written as

[imath]f(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\int_{0}^{L} f(x,t)X_n(x) \ dx}{\int_{0}^{L}X_n^2(x) \ dx}X_n(x).[/imath]

(d) The material parameters for the beam, a 6061-T6 aluminum beam with rectangular cross section, are as follows:

[imath]L = 1.22 \ m[/imath]
[imath]w = 0.019 \ m[/imath]
[imath]h = 0.0033 \ m[/imath]
[imath]E = 7.310 \times 10^{10} \ m = 73.10 \ GPa[/imath]
[imath]\rho = 0.1693 \ kg/m.[/imath]

Using these material parameters, plot the solution as a function of space and time.

(e) Plot the acceleration of the model and the data (obtained from the website) and compare the results.

(f) Generate a more exact forcing function representation based on the setup of the system and apply it to solve the force differential equation.

I have to hand over this simple assignment before July and I am sure you guys can do it?

Any help would be so appreciated.

In this problem we will analyze a model of a flexible beam that is being forced. A common experimental methodology in vibration analysis is the forcing of a structure at several different frequencies. The structure is mounted to a piston-style shaker, which forces the structure periodically. The input periodic forcing is typically computer-controlled. See Figure 12.6.2.

View attachment 36058

[imath]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\big|_{x=0} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\big|_{x=L} = 0, \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial^3 u}{\partial x^3}\big|_{x=0} = \frac{\partial^3 u}{\partial x^3}\big|_{x=L} = 0,[/imath]

The parameter definitions are as follows. The linear mass density (which is the volumetric mass density times the cross-sectional area) of the material of the beam is [imath]\rho[/imath]. Young's modulus is [imath]E[/imath], and the moment of inertial is [imath]I[/imath]. Each of these parameters is known for the beam of interest. The moment of inertial for a rectangular cross section is [imath]I = wh^3/12[/imath], where [imath]h[/imath] is the thickness (measured in the direction of motion of the beam) and [imath]w[/imath] is the width (measured in the direction orthogonal to motion).

In undertaking this problem, there are several tasks whose solution will require computational assistance. A computer algebra system such as Mathematics or Maple will be very helpful. Here are your tasks:

[imath]\rho\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(EI\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\right) = 0.[/imath]

The solution, as discussed in the separation of variables sections for the heat and wave equations takes the form [imath]u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n(x,t),[/imath] where [imath]u_n(x,t) = X_n(x)T_n(t).[/imath] This task has several subtasks:

(i) Find the general formula for the [imath]T(t)[/imath] function. Your answer should be of the form [imath]T(t) = P\cos(\omega t) + Q\sin(\omega t)[/imath] where [imath]P[/imath] and [imath]Q[/imath] are unknown constants and [imath]\omega[/imath] depends on [imath]\rho[/imath], [imath]E[/imath], [imath]I[/imath], [imath]L[/imath], and the spatial frequencies you will get from the [imath]X(x)[/imath] equation.

(ii) Find the general formula for the [imath]X(x)[/imath] function. Your answer should be of the form [imath]X(x) = Ae^{\beta x} + Be^{-\beta x} + C\cos \beta x + D\sin \beta x,[/imath] where [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], and [imath]D[/imath] are unknown constants and [imath]\beta[/imath] depends on [imath]\rho[/imath], [imath]E[/imath], [imath]I[/imath], [imath]L[/imath] and the spatial frequencies.

(iii) Use the boundary conditions to find four equations that include the five unknowns of part (ii) [imath](A, B, C, D,[/imath] and [imath]\beta).[/imath] Write these equations as [imath]4 \times 4[/imath] matrix (that depends on [imath]\beta[/imath]) times the vector of coefficients [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], and [imath]D.[/imath]

(iv) Since the right-hand side of your equation system is the zero vector, you have two possibilities: All the coefficients are zero, or the determinant of the matrix is zero. Plot the determinant as a function of [imath]\beta.[/imath] Plot it carefully so that you can see the oscillations. Find the smallest ten numbers [imath]\beta[/imath] that make the determinant equal to zero.

(v) What constraints must hold for [imath]A[/imath], [imath]B[/imath], [imath]C[/imath], [imath]D?[/imath] They are unknown parameters, but some relationships must be established.

(vi) Use those values of [imath]\beta[/imath] to determine the smallest five values of [imath]\omega[/imath] from part (i).

The forcing function is (approximately) [imath]f(x,t) = F_0 \sin(\alpha t)\delta(x - L/2)[/imath], a periodic function that is concentrated at the beam's midpoint. To use the separation of variables approach, we need to expand the forcing function in terms of the [imath]X_n(x)[/imath] functions. As described in the context of the wave equation on page 479 of the text and using the orthogonal function expansion techniques of Secion 11.1, the forcing function can be written as

[imath]f(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\int_{0}^{L} f(x,t)X_n(x) \ dx}{\int_{0}^{L}X_n^2(x) \ dx}X_n(x).[/imath]

(d) The material parameters for the beam, a 6061-T6 aluminum beam with rectangular cross section, are as follows:

Using these material parameters, plot the solution as a function of space and time.

(e) Plot the acceleration of the model and the data (obtained from the website) and compare the results.

(f) Generate a more exact forcing function representation based on the setup of the system and apply it to solve the force differential equation.

I have to hand over this simple assignment before July and I am sure you guys can do it?

So, I guess we're going to have to do this all over again.

What have you been able to do with this?

-Dan

View attachment 36058

Show us your attempts (at every question) and we may point out any errors for you with advice on how to correct them.

I thought when I get up from sleeping, I would see everything was solved. I am so disappointed by not seeing a single attempt. Not even (a)????

I spent two hours writing and organizing this problem, and what I get in return, Read Before Posting! What the heck is this?

If I know how to solve this problem, I would not waste a single moment waiting for others to solve it. I have never seen something like this before. My skills are based on Fourier Transform and I see nothing about it in here.

I would be more and more disappointed if you guys are also not familiar with this type of problems. Gone the days when I post a problem and see multiple answers in different ways before even one hour from the posting. Tutors were starving to attack problems. I see today fully the opposite, everyone is lazier than a Koala. If this Koala spends 18 hours asleep, you guys spend 24 hours.

I understand that some of you (very few) does not mean not to help. But you don't understand or may be you don't know that the OP is sometimes truly has nothing to show. This is the case this time.

I don't have enough time to wait more, so I will give everyone of you a task to do. You basically will start the first few steps of the answer and then I will try to complete it.

topsquark, you do (a)

stapel, you do (b)

The Highlander, you do (c)

Steven G, you do (d)

khansaheb, you do (e)

Dr.Peterson, you do (f)

See how beautiful and easy to solve a big problem when it is divided into small problems. I am counting on you guys.

Note: This is not my style to do this, but I am forced this time.

Show us your attempts (at every question) and we may point out any errors for you with advice on how to correct them.
i) Find the general formula for the T(t) function. Your answer should be of the form T(t)=Pcos⁡(ωt)+Qsin⁡(ωt) where P and Q are unknown constants and ω\omegaω depends on ρ\rhoρ, EEE, III, LLL, and the spatial frequencies you will get from the X(x)X(x)X(x) equation.
Did you even read the problem/s and the instructions carefully.

Tell us

what is/are the FIND of the problem.​
What are the GIVENS of the problem​
The instructions to solve the (a) - almost gives you the solution. Consult your textbook and tell us what you found.

Mario does not want provide us with "his attempts to solution" - he is testing our knowledge. Providing us with his attempts will help us tutors "too much"

Last edited:
topsquark, you do (a) ; stapel, you do (b) ; The Highlander, you do (c); Steven G, you do (d); khansaheb, you do (e); Dr.Peterson, you do (f)
No Mario

It is your task is to do (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f). Remember - a wise man said - No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone.

Last edited:
I thought when I get up from sleeping, I would see everything was solved. I am so disappointed by not seeing a single attempt. Not even (a)????

I spent two hours writing and organizing this problem, and what I get in return, Read Before Posting! What the heck is this?

If I know how to solve this problem, I would not waste a single moment waiting for others to solve it. I have never seen something like this before. My skills are based on Fourier Transform and I see nothing about it in here.

I would be more and more disappointed if you guys are also not familiar with this type of problems. Gone the days when I post a problem and see multiple answers in different ways before even one hour from the posting. Tutors were starving to attack problems. I see today fully the opposite, everyone is lazier than a Koala. If this Koala spends 18 hours asleep, you guys spend 24 hours.

I understand that some of you (very few) does not mean not to help. But you don't understand or may be you don't know that the OP is sometimes truly has nothing to show. This is the case this time.

I don't have enough time to wait more, so I will give everyone of you a task to do. You basically will start the first few steps of the answer and then I will try to complete it.

topsquark, you do (a)

stapel, you do (b)

The Highlander, you do (c)

Steven G, you do (d)

khansaheb, you do (e)

Dr.Peterson, you do (f)

See how beautiful and easy to solve a big problem when it is divided into small problems. I am counting on you guys.

Note: This is not my style to do this, but I am forced this time.
Tell you what. When you pay me to tutor you we can go to an appropriate site, and I'll teach you how to do everything.

a) You are not paying me.

b) This is not an appropriate site.

c) You don't want me to teach you anyway. You want me to do all your work for you.

I'm tired of saying this: We don't do this here. Go somewhere else to get someone to do all your work for you. You already know this, so I can only assume you are now (shamelessly) trolling us.

Go away and stop bothering us. We have work to do with students who want to work.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.