The fundamental theorem of fractions

Aion

Hey, I'm currently trying to understand a proof. And I have trouble understanding a specific part of it which I will highlight. I find this part hard to visualize. Maybe someone can draw me a diagram of what is happening.

Recall that two fractions are equal if they are the same point on the number line. We obvserved that for all nonzero whole numbers \(\displaystyle n\) and \(\displaystyle k\), \(\displaystyle \frac{nk}{n} =\frac{k}{1}\), as both are equal to \(\displaystyle k\). The following generalizes this fact.

Theorem. Given two fractions \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{k}{l}\), suppose there is a nonzero whole number \(\displaystyle c\) so that \(\displaystyle k=cm\) and \(\displaystyle l = cn\). Then \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n} = \frac{k}{l}\)

Proof. Let \(\displaystyle k = cm\) and \(\displaystyle l = cn\) for whole numbers \(\displaystyle c\), \(\displaystyle k\), \(\displaystyle l\), \(\displaystyle m\), and \(\displaystyle n\). We will prove that \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n} = \frac{k}{l}.\) In other words, we will prove: \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n} = \frac{cm}{cn}\).

The fraction \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n}\) is the \(\displaystyle m\)-th point in the sequence of \(\displaystyle n\)-ths. Now divide each of the segments between consecutive points in the sequence of \(\displaystyle n\)-ths into \(\displaystyle c\) equal parts. Thus each of \(\displaystyle [0,1], [1,2], [2,3]\), ... is now divided into \(\displaystyle cn\) equal parts. This the sequence of \(\displaystyle n\)-ths together with the new division points become the sequence of \(\displaystyle cn\)-ths. A simple reasoning shows that the \(\displaystyle m\)-th point in the sequence of \(\displaystyle n\)-ths must be the \(\displaystyle cm\)-th point in the sequence of \(\displaystyle cn\)-ths. This is another way of saying \(\displaystyle \frac{m}{n} = \frac{cm}{cn}\). Thus the proof is complete.

Last edited:
This seems to be part of some particular development of fractions, and depends on previous definitions. (In a normal context, it would be trivial to prove.) I could draw pictures of what it seems to mean, but I can't fully understand why they are doing what they are without the context. Where does this come from, and what definitions are we supposed to "recall"?

Okay, I searched for a phrase and found this source: https://books.google.com/books?id=c1OiDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA28 .

Do you have that source? It includes examples of what it is talking about, so maybe that's all you need. If not, please explain what is missing in your mind.

Thanks I didn't know it was a book. I've already bought it now and will look into it! :)

I just had in mind looking at the context as far as it can be seen online. I don't know whether your goal is to learn to deeper facts lying behind arithmetic (which the book is about), or just to learn to work with fractions (for which a different book might be more suitable).

I'm curious, of course, as to where you did get the proof, if not from the book (which was the only source I found with a search). But that doesn't matter.