the lengths of the diagonals of parallelograms whose sides are vectors

Fine, then please use an equal sign on an Engineering Sciences forum.
Nope - I have to teach you ignorant theoretical mathematicians that you can calculate and report the area of a circle with 2.00" radius as exactly =12.57 sq.in. The implied accuracy in that answer is ±0.005 - do not have to state it "good enough for government work" (DoD certified).

That is ok , or have mistake ??
Sorry about all the confusion in the thread. Some of the members here (including a Mod who's name I will respectfully not mention) need to be spanked occasionally.

Yes, you have the correct answer for [imath]d_1[/imath]. What Steven G is trying to say is that you have the exact solution ([imath]\sqrt{13}[/imath]) and this, being Math, is the correct way to represent the answer. The decimal answer is more appropriate for a Science or Engineering class.

What can you do with [imath]d_2[/imath]? It's the same process. You've already done most of the work.

-Dan

Talking about being appropriate for science:
I was studying Physics 1, even thinking about being a Physics major, when I saw a fact in my book that had absolutely no proof given. The next page stated a theorem and a proof of this theorem. The problem with the proof was that it used the fact stated in the previous page. In my opinion the proof was complete nonsense. Although I really respect Physicists, I can't believe that they would write a proof like that. This proof even came from a very respected book by Halliday and Resnick. I never considered being a Physics major after that incident.